Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Spray Booth

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 03:47 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Booth

I'm not sure how many of you out there might be interested in this. But I just recently decided to make a fairly simple paint booth in my workshop. I was getting tired of fumes, garages, mess, etc. So I decided to do something about it.
I took a few pics, and wrote a little about it on my website for anyone who may be interested.

Sam

Here is the link to all the pics and short write up

http://www.samsrc.com/paintbooth.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98558.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	182791  
Old 10-15-2004, 07:19 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spray Booth

That is a real nice spray booth. You done a great job and should be happy with it. You've given me some insperation. I've been painting this week and just opening the garage door to vent fumes and just painting in the garage. I always get a couple of specks someplace on the paint job. I just have to knuckle down and do what you did to solve the problem once and for all.
Edwin
Old 10-15-2004, 09:12 AM

Well thank you very much for the compliment. It really isn't a whole lot of work and other than the cost of the fan (there are cheaper alternatives) it really isn't that expensive to put together. A couple of nights and your done. As long as you have the room, and an understanding wife (in my case an ex-wife...laughs) You're good to go.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:20 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I just happen to have a spray booth fan in my wifes spray booth. I fixed up a much smaller one for her, 4'hx5'wx4'd. She used to do air brush work restoring old photos before the digital age. Her fan is the same as yours except its 18" dia, and you're right, very expensive $700. She hung filters inside the box at about 20deg angle and let the air pressure suck them down and hold them in place. It did that very well. If I can just talk her into getting rid of the 68' mustang convertable I would have the space. But no chance of that happening. Will definately keep your design in mind when the oppurtunity arrives.
Edwin
Old 10-15-2004, 12:30 PM

Really nice set up you have. I wish I had the room. We don't have basements here and I do miss having one. I have to build in the garage and in the winter it gets a little on the chilly side. I have tried the converted bedroom route, but the misses isn't exacty thrilled with it. She has a real sensitive nose, and fumes of any kind are not welcome in the house.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:59 AM

samsrc,

That is an awesome set up! Too bad you live in ON, or I would come over to your house to do some painting. I am inspired by your work and idea, but unfortuantely, I don't have enough room for something like that (because of my boat being in my garage). I too like hookedonrc have a wife that can not tolerate paint fumes of any kind. I am lucky that she can't smell the CA fumes 100 feet through 2 closed doors.

I might still try to do something like what you did, but probably just on a smaller and possibly even portable scale. Do you have any dimentions on the booth? I tried to go to your site (http://www.samsrc.com/paintbooth.htm), but it appears to be down.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:11 AM

biscuitslayer

The booth is around 6 X 10 in size. Enough to fit pretty well any size fuse. You may want to try the link again, because it should be working. If not, then by all means email me, and I will give you any info you may want.

Thanks
Sam

Here it is again:
http://www.samsrc.com/paintbooth.htm
Old 10-24-2004, 08:35 AM

The link is working now. That really is an awesome setup Sam. I am jealous as hell!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:38 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wish I had the room for something like that. Until then can I just send you my planes to paint?

I came up with something cheap and dirty, but it works ok, if you can deal with its limitations. I got the cardboard box from a 40 gallon water heater (2.5 x 2.5 x 5 feet), layed it on its side and opened up one long side, cut a hole in the back .and taped a furnace filter in front of the hole and use my shop vac to pull the overspray into the filter, replace as needed. Set the thing on sawhorses.