Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Uniform Wing Ribs >

Uniform Wing Ribs

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Uniform Wing Ribs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uniform Wing Ribs

As a recent member of this forum I have paroosed the threads back in time and gleaned a bunch of stuff that I didnt know. Thank you all!
I have shared some of the techniques I use and through them been educated to the good, bad & ugly aspects of them. Thanks again!!

I learned to build from the same older gentelman that taught me to fly ump-teen years ago. He passed along many of the techniques that I still use today.
This is one of them and I would invite all suggestions, critiques, additions, etc. This is making me a better builder...

Make 2 identical templates to the shape of the ribs out of either aluminum or plywood.
Cut out rectangles of wood just larger than the size of the template / ribs. Cut enough for the project + 2 or 3 extra, you’ll probably use them.
Even the stack up and place one of the templates on top of them. Tape the template & stack together so that they cannot move. Place the stack onto a drill press and using the holes in the templates, drill through the stack.
Remove the stack with the top template and add the other template to the opposite end of the stack. Run ¼” – 20 (or equiv) screws threw the template / stack assembly and nut the other end.
You now have a stack of rib blanks sandwiched between 2 templates ready to shape.
NOTE: If using aluminum templates, take a black marker or paint and color the edge of the templates. If using wood, take some foil tape (or any heavy tape) and cover the edges of the templates. This will serve to tell you when the stack has been sanded to the shape of the templates.
Using a belt sander hold the templates / stack firmly and begin sanding away the excess material from the stack of balsa. Work from the heaviest area first to a uniform shape equal distance from the templates being careful to keep your work perpendicular to the sanding belt. Keep working the stack until you begin touching the template with the belt sander. From this point you can finish using a course sanding block to avoid gouging into the templates with the powered belt sander.
The templates can also have slits cut into them where the spars will be located. Using these slots while the stack is still clamped between the templates use a razor saw and cut into the stack to the dept of the slots in the templates. Once the templates have been removed, re-assemble the stack without them and using a straight cutter cut out the spar notches. Check the spar fit and use a small sander block to make the slot larger & smooth out any high spots. Your ribs are now ready for assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ig12212.jpg (865.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-12-2005, 06:44 AM

Default RE: Uniform Wing Ribs

aerospot,

Are there any tips, or tricks to drilling the holes through the ribs ? I would be afraid of tearing up the balsa. What kind of bit ? What speed ? Things like that ? Or am I worring about nothing ?

Thank You for your tip,

waynerr
Old 11-12-2005, 09:25 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to use my band saw to get the shape to roughly what I need and then switch to a drum sander to get it to almost what I want before I finish by hand. Balsa - even when stacked - isn't oak or pine - so I don't mind a bit of elbow grease.

Dan
Old 11-12-2005, 09:27 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Waynerr -

Should have answered you above - the cleanest way I have found to drill holes in balsa is to use brass tubing sharpened at one end with a xacto blade.

Dan
Old 11-12-2005, 10:12 AM

Thank You Very Much Dan.[sm=thumbup.gif]

waynerr
Old 11-12-2005, 07:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, but way too complicated a process.

Cut out your ribs, stack them (use you eyeballs to align them) pin them together, hand sand with a block for uniform shape, cut you spar slots with a razor saw, your done!

Darren