Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 BT Spifire: Sanding Filler >

BT Spifire: Sanding Filler

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

BT Spifire: Sanding Filler

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:04 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BT Spifire: Sanding Filler

Hi guys, I am finally at the shaping and filling stage of this project, currently working on shaping the wing panels. What do you guys use as a filler for the low spots, seams, etc before you glass anything? I am using Model Magic, a white water-based filler which is a dream to sand and is very light, but is not very hard when dry. I have also tried Hobby Poxy "Stuff", but it does not sand that easily and takes a while to cure[&o]. I am reluctant to use auto body filler (red lead) since me experiences in the past is that it cracks and is fairly heavy[:@]. Unless there is another filler in the autobody world I don't know about. Any ideas?

Thanx, Mark
Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BT Spifire: Sanding Filler

I've used a number of products. From softest to hardest are lightweight latex based spackle, a lightweight wood filler that comes in a tube from Minwax, and a mix of microballoons and epoxy. I plan on trying phenolic microballoons next time. I use the auto putty only after glassing on minor fills. The lightweight spackle feathers real nicely. I like the Minwax filler, but it doesn't feather as smooth. The microballoons, I use on places where I want something a bit stronger, or for larger imperfections that show up after glassing. I still haven't settled on a favorite and am on the lookout for other products

Scott
Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that your Spit is fully sheeted try mixing some baby powder with Elmer's white glue. Fairly thick but still thin enough to brush. It may take several coats, with sanding between each one, but you can get a finish as smooth as glass if you have a bit of patience. Used this system for years and have had several questions from bystanders who wanted to know if it was made of plastic.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:24 PM

I finally realized recently that talc is a mineral product-a ground-up soft rock. It's actually pretty heavy. I found West System 410 filler and it's cool. My container of it is 10 inches tall and 5 inches diameter. Weight? 5 ounces. The same volumn of talc would weigh 3 maybe 4 pounds. The 410 mixes easy, sands great, and best of all, is about the color of balsa. I've mixed it with dope, epoxy and SigMent glue and they have all worked well. No more talc or spot putty for me.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...r;eclDrill;680
Old 12-04-2005, 03:30 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I use "Elmer's" Professional wood filler. Comes in a squeezable tube. Sands very nicely, dries quickly and is very light. Very strong.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:57 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx, for the info everyone, I have been away for a while sanding and filling. I tried the Elmers Pro wood filler. Works great, sandable and is cheap too. I was wondering if you can use the same fillers after the glassing is done? Is there a better filler. How about the automotive fillers since it is fiberglass that it must adhere to. What is the best ?

Thanx, Mark
Old 12-26-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
Best filler is brown coloured micro balloons and polyester resin or 24 hour laminating epoxy, like "West systems".
Sands easily and you can see where you have sanded due to the brown surface changing colour when you have sanded.
Cover with glass first, then fill any imperfections.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden