Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Painting fiberglass parts >

Painting fiberglass parts

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Painting fiberglass parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:35 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting fiberglass parts

I just invested in a paint gun/filter/compressor and built a paint booth like the one in model aviation from a few months back. I want to be able to get a first-rate paint job on fiberglass parts and the spray cans weren't cutting it.

Now I need to find a paint to match Ultracote bright yellow for the cowl and pants of my 35% Edge. I stopped by a PPG automotive paint shop and they wanted $90 for a pint's worth of their best stuff matched to the covering. I'm also looking at Nelson, which has a match for the covering, and Klasskote, which has a generic bright yellow color.

Any other suggestions? The PPG is probably the best stuff, but the cost is hard to swallow!

Mark
Old 02-18-2006, 09:08 AM
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Painting fiberglass parts

While $90 sounds like a lot for a pint of paint, how much have you already spent on a 35% Edge, a compressor, spray gun, and spray booth? It sounds like you are particular enough about how your model will look that you don't want to be reminded about those few bucks you saved on paint. If they can provide a true color match, that's the way I'd go.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nelson paints are pretty darn good, and they clean up with water.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to investigate latex paint.

The paint is fine as is for gasoline engines, for glow powered engines you will need to clear coat it.

The cost is dirt cheap (about $10 a quart ). The latex needs about 10 - 14 days to "cure".

The downsides are:

The latex is a "soft" paint - it is not as hard as Klasscoat or PPG.
Latex does not have the high/monokote type shine, even with a clear coat.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the responses. You make a good point Krossk.

Yesterday I tried out my new equipment with some Krylon oil-based enamel and it worked great. I had to thin it with quite a bit of acetone to get it to spray, but once it did, it went on great on some scrap fiberglass. You would actually have to work hard to get it to run.

FYI, here's what I put together:

Spray booth - sheet plastic, stair rail, bicycle hooks, Broan through-the-wall fan ($90), respirator/goggles.

Spray gear - regulator/filter $20, mini detail spray gun, $15 from Harbor Freight

So for a small investment you can do a decent job painting year-round without stinking up the house.

Mark