Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How fast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast?

Hello fast flyers...how fast is your model? Found a neat little program that, using the "doppler effect" theory allows you to measure the speed of the model. No theory, just try it...you'll like it!
Here is a link to a french website...download "wos19c" from there and install in your PC.
Record the sound of a model passing in front of you (wav) and copy the recording in your PC. Open the program, set the ambient temp on the bottom left (°C), click on the leftmost icon and search for your recording. It will show a series of waves, choose a clear wave, leftclick to the left of the wave so that the green line is tangent to the wave, repeat but rightclick to the right of the wave and read the speed!
It works and fairly accurately too !
Old 05-05-2006, 08:01 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How fast?

Link?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:33 PM
My Feedback: (5)

dont know if this is the exact program, there is a few out there on the web. Ive tried this once but got results out of ordanary. I didn't know a UCan Do go travel at 96 mph....

You can find the link at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/webmas...r/doppler.html
Ive tried it but couldn't get accurate results. Something happened. Probally me

Old 05-07-2006, 03:14 PM

I used the same program. There is a trick though:

I found that using a pocket recorder (the kind a student might use to tape lectures) set up on a pylon in the middle of your runway works well.

Set up the recorder on the pylon and turn it on. Launch your bird. Then you absolutely HAVE to fly as low as you can to the recorder on a flypast (almost trying to hit it--extremely unlikely but hey, it's possible).

The reason for this is you want the greatest difference in the doppler pattern in the flyby as you can (this necessitates being CLOSE to the recorder).

From personal experience I've found that a real experienced flyer must do this because when you're going 100mph+ at 4 feet off the ground, it's gets a bit twitchy (not just the plane but your knees to say the least .

Then copy that recording (Just play it back through the microphone attached to your computer) and let the program analyze it. Works like a charm.