Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Pop Up Trailer Conversion >

Pop Up Trailer Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Pop Up Trailer Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pop Up Trailer Conversion

Looks good, I have done something similar with a old smaller pop up , with flip top tops. I will try to post pictures of mine soon.

Jon
Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am reserving judgment right now but I think this project just went off a cliff. I have been concentrating on resolving the issue with the tires being nearly impossible to change due to clearance issues. I've tried everything.... Checked the specs and the tires are the correct size for the trailer. Jacked up (yes, using the frame... not axle) both sides and placed on jackstands with plenty of clearance under the wheels and even with the tires deflated below 10psi it is a struggle to get them off after removing the lugnuts (tried removing the dust caps just to squeeze every inch) and it is even more of a job to get a replacement in place. I must presume that the axle suspension system has an issue that so far no one can explain to me... That was bad news number one. I purchased a couple of new 12" tires and rims with the correct lug spacing and adequate load ratings which are narrow enough to get inside the wheel wells OK but because of the hub size (I'm sure because they house the electric brakes) they won't even fit over the drums!! [:@]
Then today while I was cranking up the lid I broke another cable... inconvenient I thought but I just started looking to see which cable and thinking I'd best just replace them all when I realized the horrible truth. The entire lifter assembly is pushing through the floor (rotten wood I'm sure) and is pinching the cable at the top of the pulley just underneath that upright. When I checked the others they are ALL showing signs of soon doing the same thing. That means the piece of wood that is the very base of the structure itself would have to be replaced in all 4 corners. That also means tearing out practically the whole interior (again) to get down to that level. If that's the only way I may spill a can of gasoline on this thing and light a match... The only other option I can see is to block the top up a couple inches to relieve the pressure and then try to wedge a piece of metal under each corner and weld it in place to the frame... I'm not even sure how possible that is and I do not own a welder. I know some folks that do, but this is starting to get to the point where I just don't know if it's worth it. Between these issues I have to consider if it's time to give this up as a bad idea and cut my losses. I have to much money and time invested now to stop but how much more can I afford to put into something that may NEVER work?! If I can't change a tire on the road I will never be able to trust this thing to leave the driveway so even assuming I figure out a way to make the lifters work I am not sure yet that I can ever resolve the other issue.... Anybody want to buy a trailer? I'll make you a really good deal!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. [&o] Have you considered just making the top open up as a clam shell arrangement using a long piano hinge? I know it is not the optimal design but it beats trashing or “Bar B Qing” your rig. I had a similar issue with the tires as you know but I was able to pry them in after I removed my dust caps. I also havea friend of a friend that works in a semi tractor trailer repair shop and he could have some possible suggestions. I will check and let you know.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:58 PM

I have just recieved a mid 80's Jayco pop that I plan on starting the conversion on in a few weeks This has been a good thread to read for Ideas Hope it keeps going with new input. Always looking for new ideas to use.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM

sorry to bring this old thread back to the top, but im looking into a few retired pop ups for conversion... any updates on the ones mentioned in this thread?

any new ones being converted?

any help and tips would be great!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 PM

I posted last fall that I had started.. I have it almost gutted and will be starting the rebuild in a month or so.  I will try to post some pics when I get started again.