Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
 In search of Nikko Dictator or compatible car >

In search of Nikko Dictator or compatible car

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

In search of Nikko Dictator or compatible car

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In search of Nikko Dictator or compatible car

I assume this topic goes in the toy section....
Does anyone have parts or complete cars that are compatible with an old '87 Nikko Dictator?<div>I was once told:</div><div></div><div>
there are a number of Radio Shack as well as additional nikko models that are based on the same chassis and drivetrain - Radio Shack Black Phantom, Radio Shack Tempest, Nikko Dominator, Nikko Super Dominator, Nikko Iron Eagle, Nikko Megatron, Nikko Super Megatron - there is also a radio shack f150 truck, but i dont know the exact model name</div><div>Does anyone have any of those they'd like to sell?
</div><div></div><div>Any help would be MUCH appreciated!</div><div></div><div>Thanks!</div><div>Matt</div>
Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Default RE: In search of Nikko Dictator or compatible car

They do come up on ebay from time to time, mine just showed up yesterday. It's in pretty good shape overall but I think the motor shafts are spinning inside the pinion bore, from what I found on the net its a common problem with these cars.

Let us know if you find one.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM

My two Dictators had the exact same problem. Just got them fixed this week! They scream like new now. :-)

When you say your's just showed up...you mean one you just bought? Or one you put on ebay?<br type="_moz" />
Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 PM

I just gotmy Nikko Dictatorfrom ebay yesterday. What did you do to fix the pinions on yours?

Here's a couple pics ofmy Dictatorafter I cleaned it up...

Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Nice! That looks great! I love the white letters on the tires. That's what my original looked like when I first got it 15 years ago (apart from the white letters on the tires). But the stickers were coming off and all, so I painted it.

The motor fix was pretty simple. Just pop the motors out and the gears on the ends of them may just come off in your hand. They were just friction fit before, so you may be able to tap them back on and have it work. But I chose to add some JB Weld to make sure. Let it dry 24 hours and they're good to go!
I actually bought the red one on ebay about 5 years ago as a parts car for my original. But when I got it, it had the exact same problem as my original. Finally, after asking all over the place, 4 years later someone posted the answer and now they both work.
So, now I want some parts cars to keep both of these going. Always more fun to have two cars to run with your friends!
My friend is actually coming over in a bit to have a look at the exposed high-stress/danger parts to see if he can machine replacements from aluminum. If that works I'll have much less to worry about!!! :-)

I need to break out the Canon and take nice photos of mine after I've cleaned them all up (again). Just had them really clean before I ran them at my brother's house! I've had these things completely dismantled so many times!!! LOL!

Great car man! Congrats!<br type="_moz" />
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92087.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1715542  
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Thanks, it's really a great buggy, I'd say the best buggy Nikko ever made.

Nice pair you have there tooThere was a mint white body on ebay not long ago but I think it sold.

I pulled the motors outand the pinions came right off, I cleaned the grease off the shafts and scuffed up the shafta little with sand paper, I then lightly taped the pinion back on with a hammer. I'll test that first before I try an adheasive. I also thought about drilling and tapping a hole in the pinion for a set screw...but that would be a last resort.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Yeah, I saw the body on there. There's still a couple other pieces too. But, just didn't feel the need to go for them. :-) But yeah, didn't really think about returning my blue one to original condition. Well, better than original actually.

I got that one from my cousin. He and his brother got the exact same car for Christmas one year. His brother's is still packed up somewhere. So, if he ever finds it, I might be able to snag it! He always kept his in really nice condition unlike the one I got! :-)

I hope tapping the gears back on works good for you. I imagine it would. Worked fine from the factory!

My advice...put that bumper back on before running it! LOL! :-)<br type="_moz" />
Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM

Good call on the bumper, I just put it back on and tested it. To my surprise the pinions held for a short test drive around my living room. Now I need to pick up a new 7.2v pack, one that came with it is pretty much toast. Once I get a new battery I'll get a video of it up and running.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 AM

Awesome! Glad it's working for you! I'm eyeballin' a couple new 5000mah batteries myself. :-) NiMh is one great improvement to the NiCd that came with these cars. MUCH more play time!

And some bearings to replace the nylon rings!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:19 AM

Do you know the bearing size for the Dictator?

There's a Dictator on ebay right now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nikk...item2c628b0b26

Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 AM

Yeah, I'm watching that Dictator. I'd love to have it. But not for $120. :-)

Here are the bearings for a Dictator:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTR73&P=7 <br type="_moz" />You need 16 of them to outfit the entire car.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 AM

Thanks for the info on the bearings.

Do you find on your Dictator that when you let off the throttle the buggy coasts to a stop really fast, like it has a strong engine break?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:34 AM

Hmmm...yeah, I suppose so. But, it'll also coast on a hill like nothing is holding it back! :-D
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by TyreeComix
I assume this topic goes in the toy section....
Does anyone have parts or complete cars that are compatible with an old '87 Nikko Dictator?<div>I was once told:</div><div></div><div></div><div></div><div>Any help would be MUCH appreciated!</div><div></div><div>Thanks!</div><div>Matt</div>
Here:

http://nikkoevolution.fr/produit/pro...p?visibilite=2

well you need google translator .
Old 11-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Hi there, i just wanna tell you that i had a good rc toy bought from a trustworthy website !
That car was such a robust piece of machinery too bad that my cousin broke it, it lasted a long time when i played with it though i love remote controll vehicles !
I think you should buy a new one rather than looking for pieces everywhere it is not a real car !
Old 01-27-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT GIVE UP LOOKIN FOR PARTS... this is a vintage r/c that is very worthy of any restoration.
A friend of mine bought his dictator at toys r us back when they had hobby grade r/c.
Its got a crack in the gearbox that spreads open when you throttle it which lets the gears slip.
I always keep my eye open for one in hopes of repairing it.
Good luck with your parts search !
Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tamiya Mark
Thanks for the info on the bearings.

Do you find on your Dictator that when you let off the throttle the buggy coasts to a stop really fast, like it has a strong engine break?
Hey Tamiya Mark, have you tried adjusting your throttle trim? Just a very slight adjustment may take the brake off
when you release the throttle. Try turning the knob until the car barely tries to go then back off just a tad.