Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

X-Maxx vs Hydrid Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Maxx vs Hydrid Build

Traxxas has just come out with a X-maxx that is the size of a build I did about 10 months ago. It is my favorite built do date. As big as the X-Maxx is they missed some of the finer parts that a truck this size should be able to do to compete in this class. I have set a new bench mark with using the best of parts that was available at the time of the build. I think that with the water proof as almost standered in rc off-road tucks and buggies that what people want to do with them is different than what it used to be.
That is why I have a problem with the weight being in the back of the X-Max. You can forget about rock crawling with this big beast. and hill climbing with be bad also. Adding weight to fix a problem is just that a problem. And that is what people will be doing to fix the problem.
So what makes my biuld so different. I used the Losi XXL platform to start with. I used carbon fiber to stretch the chassis plates and used stock Losi parts to get the drivelines longer by using the Losi LST drive axles as drivelines. to get the Traxxas Summit transmission to work I used revo out drive cups on the out put shafts. To turn the 40 series RC4WD Roc Lox that are 8.58'' tall I used a pair of Hitec 7954 HV servos. the tranny micro servo is also Hitec hv. In the diffs I used Silly Putty. It works great and is forgiving.
Using these parts to get a 17.5 inch wheel base let me use the Very scale looking Yeti XL cage and pannels. It's not concidered light weight but it looks the part and is very strong. The build was only a week to build and because it was so fast to build it is also very easy to work on. I should also point out that the whole thing wth a pair of 3s 5800mah lipos and a 2s 1300mah lipo on board with 1/5 real beadlock wheels is 4 pound lighter in weight than the X-max. But more inportant than that is the weight is very low and forward. This is inportant for a lot of reasons. With big brushless power the front end wants to come up. This is something the X-Max is going to have to deal with. having a 19'' wheel base will help but that will cause problems of is own when in tight spots or in the rocks.

IF THE X-MAXX IS JUST FOR STREET USE AND PARKING LOTS FOGET EVERYHING i JUST POSTED AS THIS IN NOT MENT FOR YOU!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 PM

Try to find these! I developed this set up just for this build. I did something like this with the RC4WD Mud slingers also. This gave me a stiffer sidewall and the use of 23mm and 24mm hubs.
This is important because of the tires that are out in 1/5 scale that make this buggy go to another level. (Sand Paddles) to start with.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 PM

Points of intrest... Blue; 2 chassis rails meet in the center to stetch the chassis. Yellow; Micro servo is hv to get the most from the steering servos. Green Aluminum diff housing for strength and light weight. Red; This is ih dense foam that keeps the 4074 motor from flexing the motor plate.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 PM

Here is what the longer Aftershock/LST axle looks like next to the stock LST/Aftershock driveline looks like.

Last edited by twissted; 12-01-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:10 PM

Here is what it looks like assembled.
Notice the CNC shock tubes with titanium shafts. They work very well and do not leak!

Last edited by twissted; 12-01-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:13 PM

Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 PM

If you see a X-Maxx doing this call me I wanna see it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wye61gVc1Eo&ab_channel=twissted
Old 12-01-2015, 11:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjClGW7IE0&ab_channel=twissted
Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 PM

Lets hope you do get to see it do this. maybe not as agile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sAfnh8M-5k&ab_channel=twissted
Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 PM

Don't Get me wrong here. The Traxxas boys did come up with a nice set of diffs and I will be designing another build and I will be looking at using them in that build. I hope to make another 4X4 that is just as impressive.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw-uFq23jQg
Old 12-17-2015, 08:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhdk1nLF6WY