Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Problem with engine...won't dis-engage???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with engine...won't dis-engage???

Hey guys not sure how I can explain it. Recently over the past 3 tanks I've noticed a problem with my engine. First off it's been stalling a couple times when I finish accelerating and I do a 180 turn. Another thing that really bothers me is when I give it almost full gas the car screams and flies which is fine. However when I release the trigger the engine sounds like it's still rev'ing really high like it won't dis-engage or something. Any ideas why my engine would be doing this???

Another problem is starting the damn thing. I notice now that when it stalls and I try to start it. It won't. I hear the engine spinning and trying to start and it won't. I keep trying over and over again, the electric starter begins to feel a bit warm so I just stop and let it rest. After a couple of minutes I try starting and after a couple of tries it finally starts. Never had these problems before, would start on the dime.

Also how many turns should I have my lsn and hsn set at??

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Problem with engine...won't dis-engage???

are you still running the original glow plug, if so get a new one, then see if your problems go away. the glow plug can go bad specialy when you first break in the engine so try that see if it helps you. Oh ya also return the low and high end settings to facroty defult that way you know the high and low are good to work the engine.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:35 AM

ok I'll try out another glow plug and see if that helps it start any better.

how about the engine not dis-engaging? Any ideas there?? It just sounds like after I accelerate and I release the throttle the engine still screams. The car isn't accelarting any faster but the soudn of the engine doesn't sound right.

what are the factory default settings of the engine??? how many turns should it bet set at and is it full turns?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:56 AM

If you are running a 2.5 it should say in the manual the default settings. As for it not disengaging it can only be 1 thing and that’s the clutch not disengaging. My mach .26 kind of does the same thing after you go to top speed the engine will rev still when you let go of the throttle. If its only doing it when u let go of the throttle I wouldn't worry about it but if its doing it when u break then take the clutch apart and check its all good. IF you don’t have the manual for the default settings let me know I’ll post them for you.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:45 PM

bump
Old 07-13-2004, 11:11 PM

The not disengaging makes me think clutch but the high RPM's sounds like it is too rich on lowend. It idles high because after you loet off there is still alot of fuel left in the crank case. That's the reason most do the pinch test. Do a high speed run and then come in and pinch the fuel ilne close to the engine. It should die within 3-4 seconds;meaning your close on lowend. Remember to always set highend needle first then lowend as the highend neelde setting effects the lowend setting.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:53 PM

there is nothing in the engine that "engages" and/or "disengages". The only thing that does that is the clutch, so as dr_killer_uk said, take it apart and check.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:26 AM

how hard is it to take apart the clutch??? any instructions on how to fix it up?
Old 07-17-2004, 10:29 AM

your low speed needle is way too lean
Old 07-17-2004, 03:28 PM

how do I know what's the ideal setting for the hsn or lsn?? i don't have the manual.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:10 AM

Hey.. i was having a major problem with my t maxx befor .. it would die at random times high speed low speeds.. then i coulndt startit back up for a while... i took the crab off a old enginge i had and put it on there and it doesnt die and starts rigth up ... so if you have a old engine you should try that or if a friend got one put it on yours to see if that is prob befor you buy one ... one prob im noticing on one of mine the other day is the throttle keeps sticking l et go of throttle on controller and it still stays open a little bit .. im not sure why.. mabye thats what urs is doing to i just hit the breakes for a secong and thatll make it close all the way... have you meesed with hsn or lsn at all ... or they in the same position as when u got truck ?? i believe u can go to traxxas.com and find some kind of manual there..