Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

conversion or drop-in

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conversion or drop-in

ok i was talkin to the guy at my lhs and he said i may be better off with just gettin an os or somthin little instead of a large conversion for more money i was just wondering on what everbody here has for my advice

thxs
Old 07-20-2004, 04:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: conversion or drop-in

Unless you have the cash to upgrade the drivetrain to handle the stress of a big block, then he is right. The stock diffs, driveshafts, and tranny can't hold up to a .21 for long.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:42 AM

And now Sirio has now upped the ante with a .23 drop-in to replace their .18. It's $400. Maybe cheaper to go with a conversion kit and a big block. Jim
Old 07-20-2004, 10:00 AM

That's gotta be the list price....there's no way it'll sell for more than $275 or so, 'cause then you ARE a lot better off getting a big conversion, with an RB .28 even!!!

I dunno bout conversions vs. drop in, though. I have an OFNA .21 drop in, and things are OK, but I know I"m gonna need diffs soon, hopefully not a tranny for a while, and I already have CVDs that I'll install during my next big breakdown (or when needed!). I got it all used, which is a great option. So far, though, things are fine, though I'm starting to hear my front diffs clicking, so I gotta shim or upgrade soon!!

I like the smaller scale, though...extend chassis looks "unnatural" to me. And even though you get CVDs, a chassis & engine for a good package price, those .21-.27 engines in those kits are still gonna do as much damage & MORE to your diffs and tranny. But I haven't really heard of any/many trannys dying directly as aresult of .21 upgrades, and any damage is probby more due to improper slipper settings, anyways.

ORIGINAL: kf6gub

And now Sirio has now upped the ante with a .23 drop-in to replace their .18. It's $400. Maybe cheaper to go with a conversion kit and a big block. Jim
Old 07-20-2004, 10:49 AM

if i get a conversion what else do i need beside an engine? also how much money will it cost me if i get the p2 and whatever else i need with the p2?
and can u tell me some good one to buy^
Old 07-20-2004, 11:06 AM

i dropped a Epic .18 in mine. no expensive conversion crap for me

but ive still managed to twist 2 driveshafts in half with it. (i bash fairly hard on pavement)

my suggestion is start "small" and work your way up. you have a chance to learn to drive the truck with more power, and its easyer on the pocketbook.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:13 AM

a big 21 will cost you not only for the engine but shafts tranny gears and tons of stuff i got a sirio 18 and it puts out plenty of power as much as most 21's and i only had to upgrade the rims and that was it my maxx pulled wheelies and spun the tires like crazy if you wana go bigger it will cost you a lot of $$ but then again you will have a little more power. over all the size of your wallet decides
Old 07-20-2004, 12:24 PM

The Sirio .23 drop-in is advertised at Tower for a little over $400, and it's available in August from Tower. Jim