Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Shopping for a Traxxas Truck...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for a Traxxas Truck...

for my next vehicle i want to go with a nitro truck... i was looking at 1\8 sclae buggys but they lack ground clearance and look like their more for racing...

i was looking into the Sportmaxx cause it in my budget and looks pretty bash worthy.... so heres some questoins

1. can i use all T\E Maxx Hopups with the Sport Maxx?

2. do i have to buy a glow plug starter or does the roto-system cover that

3.is it good for bashing or just racing

4. if you own one how does it perform

5. i have been hearing about this deal where when you break a part traxxas send you a new
one?

6. how helpful are the manuals included with traxxas vehicles

any opinions or vehicle suggestions would be apreicated
btw i wont be purchasing it for about a 8 months or so but its never to early to start shopping
Old 08-01-2004, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Shopping for a Traxxas Truck...

They're definately bash worthy. I work with a guy that runs one & he's ignorant when he drives it. Luckily he can't keep it on it's wheels long enough to do any serious damage. The dude only knows two speeds... full throttle & "I shouldn't have been going full throttle.". Stock maxxes aren't the most durable IMO but that has a lot to do with their power to weight ratio. If the Maxx were 1/8th scale I'd bet most people would say they're every bit as durable as the Savage. As for your questions....

1. Yep.
2. The EZ start has a built in glo starter so you don't need one however the wire can get chewed. Luckily the guy I work with is an electronics engineer so he's not concerned with that.
3. Both. You can mod it to be better either way. Maxxes are aftermarket kings.
4. Don't own one but they're nice from what I've seen even completely stock.
5. Dunno nothing about that but if it's on Traxxas's page I'm sure it's true.... When it comes to the parts replacement thing. They have some great advertising peeps & that's all I'll say about that.
6. I've heard some good things about Traxxas's manuals. Even a bad manual makes sense if you take the time to decipher it. Plus they come with a DVD.
7. If you were looking for recommendations I'm sure I could throw out an idea *cough*Savage21*cough* or two *cough*Savage25orSS*cough* but overall I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with a a Maxx.

Enjoy your truck no matter what it is & know that no matter what it is, it'll break or wear out something eventually.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:51 PM

honestly if your getting the sportmaxx just spend an extra 50 and get the tmaxx. i own the sportmaxx and i wish i wouldnt have been cheap. becuse where i drive i need 4wd and reverse and the 2 speed would be nice. the sportmaxx is a great truck and its strong. but you will wish later you got a tmaxx like i wish i did.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:33 PM

If your budget only allows to spend this much then go with the s-maxx. However make sure its the 40 + MPH one. That means its got the 2 speed in it.

If you want to get 4wd and reverse you can purchase those modules separately.

I'm hearing that if you want to race, the S-maxx with 2 speed is the way to go. Its exactly like the T-maxx but is not hindered but the extra weight and engine drag that you get with the 4WD and Rev.

upgrading to 4wd and rev will cost you a bit more then buying it already in a T-maxx package. But theres a possibility you might not need the upgrades at all depending on what application you use it in. Race or banging around.

Presently I'm looking closest at the S-maxx myself. It sounds and looks like a great all around affordable and good performing truck. Im also not shy to tinker with it..so if i want reverse and 4WD ill just add it down the road.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:50 PM

i have the 2 speed s-maxx and i like it. at first i was a little dissappointed and wished i had the t-maxx but now that i have gotten good enough that not having reverse doesnt bother me, and i am no longer dissappointed. the only problem with it is that it pulls wheelies to easy, if you call that a problem. where i got mine it was $100 cheeper then the t-maxx and 4wd is not worth $100 to me.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:01 PM

yes and be carefull...theres a difference between a sportmaxx and a S-maxx

the sportmaxx does not have the 2 speed tranny the s-maxx does.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:00 AM

thanks for all your input... and i got confused if you were refferring to the Sportmaxx (topic) or the S-maxx so plaease type it ouot... i would look into the S-Maxx but ive heard it mostly for racing... if the Tmaxx price drops a little then ill probably go with that... so all you need to buy is fuel with the Sportmaxx? does this also go for the Tmaxx[&:]

thanks again
Old 08-02-2004, 10:59 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Here is the difference between the two.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGXC5**&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXDED3**&P=0

The S-Maxx (Stadium Maxx) is a SportMaxx with a 2 Speed tranny, better tires and different body for $20 more! All that is needed to make it 4x4 is a front diff and drive shafts that you can get on EEEbay for next to nothing.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:42 AM

well i think i might go with the TMAXX depending on my budget.... do you think the TMAXX price will drop at all cause of the REVO?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:45 AM

It may but, I would not count on it.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:59 PM

the only problem is that i am going to buy it a a lhs so it might be kinda expensive.... maybe i can find some coupons[:'(]
Old 08-02-2004, 02:04 PM

Shop the online stores first and compare prices. If you LHS is charging to much I would not buy it from them. I would not pay more then $390 at any LHS for a T-Maxx.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:16 PM

I'd gladly sell you my TMAXX,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5912690220

It runs great and has some really good upgrades.

Mark
Old 08-02-2004, 02:17 PM

Grrrr.... ebay item number 5912690220

Thanks
Mark
Old 08-02-2004, 02:39 PM

buying off ebay is not an option for me... i want it new and stock ya im hoping to find a TMAXX at one of my 3 lhs at around $385 max[&:]
Old 08-02-2004, 04:55 PM

If your lhs is like mine mention that you can get it cheaper online but be sure you know where & how much. My lhs will match Tower's prices plus $5 or $6 to make up for what I would've paid in shipping. I've used that trick a few times to get a few bucks knocked off parts. Now, as long as I'm talking to the owner, I get the price knocked down without having to ask.