Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Afterrun procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afterrun procedure

How exactly you do that? I run truck until out of fuel, then try to start it few times to burn any fuel remaining.

Then I remove air filter and add AR oil and crank for a few seconds.

Good enough? Oil should get everywhere, I don't understand why they recommend removing glow plug?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Default RE: Afterrun procedure

put it down the hole where the glow plug goes. In the OS manaual it says not to put it into the carb b.c it can deteriorate the o-rings. reduce corrosion after a period of storage.

Use WD-40 first down into the engine, let it sit and turn the motor a few times then spit it out. then put like 3 drops of after run oil and make sure the piston is not in the sleave.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:31 PM

some say its better not to use after run oil at all it saves there glow plugs and still they keep engine performance up and also say they have less tuning problems. Personaly when i get my truck im not going to use it.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Well... From what I see - it's better not to take glow plug out at all then to take it out when truck is not clean.
Even though it may look clean - I'd rather not let small dirt get into cylinder.

I decided not to take plug out unless I have to and it's cleaned up around.

Do you use any afterrun procedure if you know that you will use truck next day?

Better yet - do you know any examples when owner completely ignored procedure and what results were?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:47 PM

i was talking with 2dmaxxlst and he said that he never uses it, and has no probs with any of his engines
Old 03-24-2006, 07:00 PM

Thats what I thought. I think making sure no fuel left is good enough

Now, guys, be honest. How often do you clean your air filters?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:55 PM

Hey anyone use the Sidewinder fuel? It says you don't need to do ARO with it.

I just heard about it from the Traxxas.com forum but it sound good. I'm gonna start using it.

[link=http://www.morganfuel.com/sidewinder_main.htm]http://www.morganfuel.com/sidewinder_main.htm[/link]
Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 PM

dont take the plug out? you should be spraying some wd-40 in the engine after a complete run. and no matter what there is still ganna be some residue around the plug, and i dont think you can get it wtih the head on it..

I clean my after every complete run for a day. doesnt get that dirty.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 PM

i clean my air filter after every time i take out my revo
Old 03-24-2006, 08:38 PM

All you guys not doing a full after-run on your engines will be rebuilding sooner than the people who do. You must get as much of the fuel residue out as possible, if not it will corrode the engine. I don't care how late it is after I get through running all three of mine get the full treatment......GW
Old 03-24-2006, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Gullwing72

All you guys not doing a full after-run on your engines will be rebuilding sooner than the people who do. You must get as much of the fuel residue out as possible, if not it will corrode the engine. I don't care how late it is after I get through running all three of mine get the full treatment......GW
+1

cant just leave the glow plug in there..
Old 03-24-2006, 08:49 PM

Right take the plug out.......I have seen the results of not doing after-run procedures(not on my trucks), and it is not pretty. After almost a gallon of fuel through each of trucks and the pistons on all three are just as shiny as the day I bought them. One engine I saw at LHS was so bad they had to soak it overnight in degreaser just to get it apart. Man it was bad. At that point I think I would have just replace the engine..........GW ....OH yeah I almost forgot I clean my air filter after every run no matter if it is an hour or 15 minutes.....
Old 03-24-2006, 09:39 PM

The ones who dont do afterruns are the ones bit--in about how bad the company is that made their motor cause it only lasted for a gallon. The reason it didnt last isnt the companys fault. They are too lazy to put oil in it.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 AM

My first truck I didn't use after run oil in or wd-40. The engine has quite a bit of rust in it now and is totally shot after about two gallons. It still runs but not worth a s***. Needless to say I've learned my lesson and on the tm323 thats in my revo I use it. I just got the motor broken in and love it I'm not going to do anything that will mess it up. But hey if you don't like your engine and want an excuse to buy a bettter one don't use it.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: MacPatton

The ones who dont do afterruns are the ones bit--in about how bad the company is that made their motor cause it only lasted for a gallon. The reason it didnt last isnt the companys fault. They are too lazy to put oil in it.
I forget what post it was be several people dont use it and there engines last longer than when they did do it.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 PM

Well good luck with that......You keep doing what you are doing and we will keep doing what we are doing and I guess everyone is happy...........GW
Old 03-25-2006, 09:53 PM

I let the motor cool then hose 'er down with brake cleaner till its spotless then hit it with some compressed air. I don't take off the air boot or plug until its clean. Couple drops of oil in each hole and turn it over, make sure the piston isn't stuck in the pinch zone. I got a bunch of air filters and change 'em every other tank. Clean them all at once then put them in a zip-lock with oil, that way when I'm out runnin I have a bag of 10 clean filters. I didn't do any of that stuff when I was younger and I totally paid for it. Now I just go out and break suspension parts.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I've got 3 gallons through my 2.5R. Two of those gallons were 33%. The motor just kept running stronger the longer I ran it. I only used WD on it once after brake in day. Nothing after that. Never had tuning problems. Didn't even need a new plug till about 2.5 gallons. I just bought a Sirio .23 for the car so I'll take the 2.5R apart monday and post pics of what no after run does. I don't know what it will look like. Should be interesting. I'll be trading it in for a 3.3 next week anyway.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:43 AM

i use wd-40 after every day of running and im on my third gallon in my stock 2.5r and it still screams
Old 03-26-2006, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Gullwing72

Well good luck with that......You keep doing what you are doing and we will keep doing what we are doing and I guess everyone is happy...........GW
Yep, people are on both sides of this fence.

I guess I'm too lazy to do the procedure, but I've been through 6 gallons on my 2.5R without any problems. I even had an OS once that sat, without afterrun procedure, for a year. Cranked up after 5 pulls and ran good.

I'm not saying that NOT running the afterrun is the better thing to do, but I've just not seen the benefit myself.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:20 PM

No ones cares about the Sidewinder fuel link I posted? Its for us lazy guys who don't wanna do ARO.

I bought some today and went out riding it worked great. Performance was still there, and it says right on the bottle " Do Not Use After Run Oil."
Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 PM

Where's the pics of the engine with no after run oil used.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:30 PM

I used to never put ARO in my 2.5R for two weeks because pulling out the glow plug wire for the ez start was a pain.

But, I bought the stuff and I sleep better at night knowing my motors are well lubed without any chance of rust. It takes two minutes of your time but using ARO will save your engine, your piece of mind, and performance.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:32 PM

I think NOT doing it IS laziness and that gets no one anywhere. I have seen a 2.5 that didn't have ARM done to it and it was rusted all to hell. Plus it was so gunked up that it was no wonder the thing didn't run anymore. Nitro collects moisture so putting oil in the engine coats and protects it from moisture.

I do after run after everyday of running. I run it dry and clear my engine of any fuel and remove the glowplug. Then I use 4 drops of ARO and turn my engine over several times. I clean my air filter after everyday of running as well. I also check my lug nuts, screws on my diffs and drive shafts, and my motor mount bolts.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:11 PM

i have sidewinder fuel and it clearly says DO NOT USE ARFTER RUN OIL, should i still put wd-40 in the engine?

i am new to r/c and have never done this b4. what is the procedure???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.