Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Good top end motor for a revo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good top end motor for a revo?

Been thinking about replacing my 2.5 motor with something that moves a wee bit faster. Been looking around and am leaning towards a sirio .23 as it seems that has a better top end than other stuff that peaks at 36k. My friend just put an axial .32 in his lst2 and another has a collari .32 in his lst2 and those things fly, but I think thats just a little too much bottom end, at least for me. I was also wondering about a sirio .27 pro I found on ebay, are those similar to the .23, just faster? Are there any other engines that run higher rpms that will go on a revo w/o much complaint?

-edit I'd like to keep the ez start if possible also, I don't race so the little extra weight isn't gonna kill me. But if there is something that is just an awesome deal I can switch to pull/roto start.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Default RE: Good top end motor for a revo?

If you want to end change the gear ratio. If you want all around more power Sirio .23 or Picco .26. I race a sirio .23 with a Team Associated 1/8 scale tuned pipe and it is stinkin fast. I have tons of mods also. I haven't entered a drag race since I put the new pipe on (I got it this past Saturday) my Revo but I will be very shocked if I lose a race.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68539.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	434056  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

What pipe is that? I just bought a Sirio .23 for my revo and now I want to upgrade the pipe too. I drilled the stock pipe to 7/32 and tant made a small difference. What about the Trinity pipe? What about the cvec or whatever it is?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM

Also good engines are wasp .28s or racers edge surefire .32s. Another AWESOME engine is the STS .28! that thing is rediculous! my friend put one in his savage and it will pop a wheelie in third gear! i am getting a racers edge .32 cause there is a lot of good feedback on those engines.

here are some links to the sites that have those engines:[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_79/products_id/4362]Racers Edge Sure Fire .32[/link] [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHGU0&P=ML]Wasp .28[/link] [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/STS-28-PullStart-Engine-HPI-SAVAGE-X-Truggy-Hellfire_W0QQitemZ6046211915QQcategoryZ1200QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem]STS .28[/link]
Old 03-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Its a Team Associated 1/8 scale pipe. its only 19.99 at my LHS. The difference is night and day because it is designed for a bb unlike the resonator and other pipes. The 1/8 scale pipe frees up the air flow so there isn't as much back pressure. Don't spend 60.00 on a tuned pipe. Get this one, make a wire mount and you will crap yourself when you see your truck run...Oh! Its a good bit louder than a stock pipe because it doesn't have baffles!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:34 PM

it depends if you want bb or sb - then go from there. if:

Small Block - look at a modded OS 18tz - very, very fast

Big Block - lose the ez start - the only good way to have a bb in a revo is with the qoncepts mount and you cannot run the ez start with that mount (cannot run a pull start or roto start either...has to be bump start) The bigger engines have more torque and less top end (usually).

I have run the following in the revo over the past 9 months...take em for what they are worth:

2.5R - decent rtr engine, tunes terribly
os18tm - great engine - reliable, tunes easy, quite a bit more power then the 2.5r - my neighbor is still running this in his revo - pretty fast with foc, wide ratio tranny and 16/38 gears
rb323 - more power then the os18tm, but has carb issues, bushing issues, and leaking issues - trashed mine after 2 gallons
wasp 28 - JUNK! worst engine I have ever used. Made a lot of power when tuned (very fast engine) but it does not hold a tune, is very finicky, yanked it after 2 gallons and threw it on the cement - never been so frustrated with an engine! (this was the regular wasp 28..not the wasp pro 28)
os30 - great engine. Gobs of torque and mid range - weak top end though. Idles great, backed by os warranty. did I mention torque??
os21vzr turbo II - fastest engine I have had in the revo by a good bit (wasp 28 is close WHEN tuned perfectly) - this engines goes out to 44k rpm's. A little soft off the line, but absolutely screams - will flip it over off the line, at 10, 20 mph and again in second gear...this thing screams - finicky to tune (more so then the 18tm and os30) - NO warranty

Many people are having great luck with the picco 26 maxx...it is a direct drop in (pretty much anyways). Also, do not forget to factor in new CB, clutch, starter box (if going BB) and a new pipe. The stock pipe will choke all of the above engines - need a new pipe to get the most out of them...these are just a couple of the engines out there....as you can see, the choices are about unlimited
Old 03-28-2006, 01:39 AM

Hi
It is possible to run a big block with a pullstart.I have a sts 28 in mine. Its a litle bit of work but i made a top rear swing arm out of 5/16 aluminum and so far it works great...
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/5823113892.jpg&s=x402
Old 03-28-2006, 06:25 AM

true, you can modify arms and suck to get a pull start to work, but I still have not seen a good design for that where it does not compromise the strength, or weight of RPM arms - that is why I said that...I should have been more specific...
Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 PM

I recomend the picco .26 maxx with a 17/36 gearing
Old 03-29-2006, 12:02 AM

Big Block - lose the ez start - the only good way to have a bb in a revo is with the qoncepts mount and you cannot run the ez start with that mount (cannot run a pull start or roto start either...has to be bump start) The bigger engines have more torque and less top end (usually).
So wait, any BB requires a bump starter in a revo? So how exactly do you know if an engine will require a BB kit? It seemed from searching that everyone considers stuff over .21 to be a BB, but the sirio .23 works with it's supplied mount. What about the picco .26 a lot of people have?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Banned

4 different enging mounts, there a 15/15pro mount which also works with MOST 18s.. there a 21 mount, i have 2 for my piccos, neither the 15s or the BBs work, nor do the 2.5 mounts..... will PROBABLY work with a 23, but only conjecture, ive never tried one.. theres the 2.5 which is same for 3.3, then there are the BB mounts.... so . not every engine will fit in every engine mount.... then there are other aftermarket mounts as well like the now discontinued XTM adjustable. and others....

not the fact Stikxs.... i have a BB that is set up with roto start as does my neighbor. we both have the OFNA brand rotos and works fine.. no bump box needed. im sure a Ofna BB pull starter will also work. my neighbor has a new pull start for a 2.5, it looks like it should fit, but we have not tired, should we try, i will post results..

just some info to share..

Tim
Old 03-29-2006, 06:32 AM

Alright, let me clarify my remarks - ANY BB when using the qoncepts mounting kit - you cannot run a pull start or roto start UNLESS you get a modified left rear a arm - I have not seen a good design of a modified a arm yet (exception - a guy on another forum modified his picco 26..not the max 26...and got it to work with a roto start..I do not know what he did though)

Other mounting options - New Era - you can run a pull start of roto start - but the engine is cocked at a nasty angle, it looks bad, raises the center of gravity quite a bit and have numerous reports of them breaking

Traxxas BB Mount - will end up breaking very quick;y - cheap material - most everyone I have talked to has broken one of these...I have not used one as I skipped the hassle and went to the qoncepts from the start

RB323 and siro 23 and picco max 26 - these are not true big blocks - these are "medium blocks" for lack of a better word - they have their own mounting kit that either comes with the engine (RB), or you get separately for about $15

when you run a true BB, you will beed a 1/8 style clutch and CB - you will need a 17, 18, or 19t cb - these engines have so much torque you still flip over backwards with these larger pinions....most BB do not rev as high as smaller engines, that is also why you need the taller gearing

In the end, any engine you are looking at will be a marked improvement over the 2.5r - drop in an os18tm and it will fly - those are great engines! Drop in an 18tz (not a direct drop in mind you) and it will be even faster. Need to decide how much money you want to spend and then go from there....a true BB will run at least four bills to get it installed in the revo correctly (engine, starter box, clutch, CB, ,mount, etc). If that does not float your boat, then go with the picco max 26 - most people that have it love it...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 AM

Ahh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:49 AM

hey im a newbie and was wondering if somebody could tell me what mod i could to my revo 3.3 which has a sirio 23? like what would be the best exhaust and gearing for it. i dont race but would like it to be fast but still have a good low end.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 PM

man this is weird, no ones mentioned the RB TM523 yet, in my opinion the most power you'll want in a revo, and the best top end of any of the "drop in" engines, plus it comes with the pipe, engine mount and header in a kit with the engine.

to make clear how and why the RB engines will fit in a revo, it is because they're not true big blocks, the crankcase on the RB TM323 and 523, and the sirio .23 are shorter then a true big block by 8mm, so they will work with a pull start or ez start, the RB TM323 is based on the sirio .23, but the TM523 has been modified so extensively that this cannot be said about it as well.

as for big blocks, don't bother with them in a revo, once you get all said and done you will have spent a great load of money getting the BB in the revo, making it so it won't break when you hit the gas, and after all that you could have bought a thunder tige ST-1 truggy for $289 bucks that will be faster then your BB revo anyway, the picco .26 maxx and RB Tm523 is the most power you can put into a revo before the drive train turns to jelly and needs upgrading which isn't cheap.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM

thats because allot of people really do not know allot about the RB Concept engines
Old 12-01-2007, 05:38 AM

i have an ez start on my picco .26