Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
 HELP - New to Revo, I have just purchased a second hand Traxxas Revo 2.5 Easy starting of Revo - how >

HELP - New to Revo, I have just purchased a second hand Traxxas Revo 2.5 Easy starting of Revo - how

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

HELP - New to Revo, I have just purchased a second hand Traxxas Revo 2.5 Easy starting of Revo - how

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - New to Revo, I have just purchased a second hand Traxxas Revo 2.5 Easy starting of Revo - how

HELP - New to Revo, I have just purchased a second hand Traxxas Revo 2.5 with a sirio .23 motor, it only has a pull start so I am trying to find the part that can be used to covert to make use of my portable electric starter (currently used for my plane).
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 AM

Default RE: HELP - New to Revo, I have just purchased a second hand Traxxas Revo 2.5 Easy starting of Revo - how

i would just stick with the pull start, as far as i know there are no conventions around to convert any surface engine to use a plane starter, you could bolt the EZ start system on the back of the engine if you want electric start however, but i am not 100% sure if it is compatible with the sirio .23, it is with the RB TM323 which is based on the sirio so it might.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 AM

Default RE: HELP - New to Revo, I have just purchased a second hand Traxxas Revo 2.5 Easy starting of Revo - how

stick with the pullstart, or try to make an adapter
Old 09-08-2007, 05:42 AM

Please excuse the slow response.... Oh the pain, I have Pulled started till my eyes nearly poped, arm cramped, fingers blistered, tried leaning, enriching, priming. The bugger will just not start, changed plugs (5 & 6). Ran glow starter flat, etc, etc. As I am 4800 feet above sea level I set the high rev needle at 4 and 1/4 turns out. What should the slow rev needle be turned out ? +/-
Old 09-08-2007, 08:01 AM

If you want to convert to electric start then you can probably find a roto-start/tiger drive style backplate to fit and use a roto-start or handheld cordless drill to start it. I'm afraid that the plane starter may have too much torque, which can cause damage if the engine floods. Or you could get a bump-start flywheel and a large rubber wheel for your plane starter and bump-start the engine.
Idon't know the settings for your engine, maybe somebody else will. In leau of the correct settings you might try to set the LSN flush with the end of the carb slide and 4 - 4 1/2 should work on the HSN. But again, I don't know and those are just guesses.
Other than that, have you seen the engine run before you bought it? Are you sure fuel is reaching the carb? Or, that you're not flooded? Did you buy it from someone you know who could help you with any idosyncricies that engine may have?
A finiky engine with a ps can be a pain, good luck
Old 09-09-2007, 01:07 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I eventually snapped the pull cord trying to start the motor, had a bit of "fun" after taking off the starter and watching the coil spring uncoil over my hands. Anyway I found nylone cord, hand wound the spring coil and reassembled the starter. The one advantage of doing this is that it now works far better than before, what with being greezed and a pull cord about 1,5 times longer. The motor started on the second pull, then cut, restarted, then cut, etc. So with the revamed pull cord starting is rather easy. So I should be happy and content right.... naught.. as soon as I put on the breaks (even while holding the car in the air) the engine stalls. So that is going to be todays challenge. I am rather encouraged though because WOW the motor revs like a boeing, can''t waite to get on the track.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:46 AM

the idle may be a bit low if it's stalling a lot,

if you think the sirio revs out hard, you should see the RB TM523, it is based on the RB 323, which is based on the sirio your running, but is a 9 port and damn it pulls hard right up till it peaks out.