Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Old T-Maxx face lift....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:19 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old T-Maxx face lift....

Hey guys! I am home on disability because of a bad back....my fourth week now. I am bored as heck and wanted something new to do. I remembered I had an old T-Maxx stored away in the basement. The last time I played with it was two years ago when I was out for the same back problem!!!! At the time ...two years ago....the truck was running sluggish. I had gotten the truck by trading a helicopter for it. The truck ran....but it was a little tired and slow. I took it to my local car/truck hobby sho "Crispy Critters" of Totowa NJ http://www.crispycrittershobbyshop.com/ where they yanked out the old OS and dropped in a brand new OS 18. Too much fun after that. I bought a jeep body for it and only had some Tester spray paint. So....the time being.....it was fine. Ran it for months and then prepped it for storage. Has been packed away for two yeas now. So....I pulled it out of retirement.

The paint I used two years ago was not the right stuff to use and it was peeling off under the body and flaking all ove the motor and chasis. What a mess!

I cleaned up the old paint with Acetone....knowing that I would not be able to paint from the bottom side because of the acetone cleaning and the past paint residue.....I opeted for Krylon Fusion paint on the outside of the body and was very pleased how it covered.

I had many cracks and breaks from may flip overs from years ago of abuse. So....I was thinking....how do I fix broken lexan? My solution was using Zap Goo and fiberglass cloth!!!! It is strong and flexible. I could not belive how well it turned out and thought I would share with you all. I know that the bodies are getting more and more expensive. Being out of work....I just could not go out and spend $50.00 on a lexan body! Are you kidding me??? No way! So fixing it and a new paint job was the answer.

So....now I have another toy to play with taking my mind off things.....

Thought I would share some photos. Sinsce my Jeep is a Willys Edition.....it was only fitting to take the photo of the Wild Willy and my Traxxas with it! Enjoy the photos..............

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66020.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	767590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52869.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	767591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48968.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	767592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22004.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	767593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96681.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	767594  
Old 09-22-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old T-Maxx face lift....

I feel your pain of boredom. I've been on injury leave from my job since May 1st and if it wasn't for my RC cars and trucks, I would have gone insane! It's nice to have a hobby like this to keep your mind off your ailments and stress. Too bad it can be so expensive. [:@] Good luck with your back and have fun with that truck while you can.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 AM

Thanks Chopped 02. I fly planes, helies and autogyros too. But I have to go to the flying field for those.....most of the time.....I doent want to go anywhere. So.....I tool around the yard with the truck and fly my helis in the driveway and yard. Hobbies keep me going.....

Dave
Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Never had back problems that took me out of work, but due to spazms sometimes...........I feel your pain. It's good to do something that takes your mind off things.

Want to "piddle" around some more? Change around the left rear and the right front tires.......they are on backward. Nice truck though. I like the photos.

I have a lexan body that I would like to fix....where'd you get the Zap Goo? My LHS doesn't carry it...(I don't think)

Chopped02,
MAY 1st?????? What happened, If you don't mind me asking.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Crispyspa,

I had a motorcycle accident that shattered several bones in my foot and have had several surgeries to try and correct the problem. Also blew out my knee, broke my right hand and broke my right eyesocket. I'm all good though. Just going to physical therapy twice a week and keeping busy with racing my RC's and maintaining them. Thank God for a cool hobby.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Wow sorry to hear about your injuries guys. I hope you can get well soon! Imsofaman, nice jeep!!!!!! The body is looking sharp on that maxx man, great job on the restoration. Although, it could use some botox Nice work[8D][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-22-2007, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

Never had back problems that took me out of work, but due to spazms sometimes...........I feel your pain. It's good to do something that takes your mind off things.

Want to "piddle" around some more? Change around the left rear and the right front tires.......they are on backward. Nice truck though. I like the photos.

I have a lexan body that I would like to fix....where'd you get the Zap Goo? My LHS doesn't carry it...(I don't think)

Chopped02,
MAY 1st?????? What happened, If you don't mind me asking.

LOL!!! I was in such a hurry to play.....I did not realize I had them on wrong!!!![X(] LOL!!!!

The ZAP Goo.....Hobby People has it: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/339012.asp
I love that stuff!!!!!! If you look at one of the photos....you can see thru to the inside fender on the opposite side and can see the fiber glass where I cut the strips so it bends around the fender well without bunching up.

I am seriously thinking about making soft top out of either the fibeglass cloth or maybe t-shirt material with thinned two part epoxy. But....it has to be removable. Still thinking about it. You know.....something to play with!

Love this hobby!

Dave

Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 PM

I am seriously thinking about making soft top out of either the fibeglass cloth or maybe t-shirt material with thinned two part epoxy. But....it has to be removable. Still thinking about it. You know.....something to play with!
Now THAT would be cooooool!
Old 09-22-2007, 12:57 PM

If i do anything on the soft top.....I will post some photos. Just have to think on it a little and I have an autogyro project that I have to complete and ship before I do anything else with the T-Maxx.

Dave
Old 09-22-2007, 03:33 PM

im in the same boat. I wrecked my bicycle(dont laugh it was a big drop) and had a concussion and cut the whole side of my face up. I did that last tuesday and the doctor says nothing physical for a month. Ive been drivin my rustler all day for the past 4 days. 2 of my 3 batteries are getting very tired. I keep poping the shock caps off and now I dont have any shock oil left so ive been driving around without oil and actually I kinda like the way it drives
Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM

Hang in there bro!!!!!

Dave
Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Hey bud, sorry to hear about your back.

Just a heads up, I used Krylon fusion on my savage... it came out beautiful but unfortunately it did not hold up and began flaking heavily with a few tumbles. Yes the surface was prepped correctly Just a heads up!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up Madmaxx1311. Well ......I will see what happens. I rolled it twice so far. I was trying so hard not to do it!!!![:@] I have the extra wide swing arms and universals to install....but I like the looks of the wheels not "that" wide like the newer T-Maxx. So....my truck is prone to rolling a little. Maybe it will make me a better RC truck driver. Pretty rusty right now.

And another thing.....for some reason......when I learned the RC truck/car stuff years ago.....for some reason I was more comfortable using the transmitter "left handed".[X(] Inother words, I hold the handle and throttle trigger in my right hand.....and reaching over with my left hand to steer. so the antenna is pointing to my left.

Is that messed up or what? It is the only way I am comfortable. Today....I tride doing the "normal" way with steering wheel in right hand and the throttle in my left.....it was bad. Looked like my first day with the truck. LOL!!!!!

Any of you learned the same way????[] Probably NOT! LOL!!!!

Dave
Old 09-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I have seen some people run that way but I have never tried myself.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:53 PM

Nice to know I am not alone.....cool beans. Thanks for the reply bro..........

Dave
Old 09-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem. Yea my little cousin drives like that. Its kinda funny
Old 09-22-2007, 08:15 PM

No i have never tried lol,

But for the fun of it i will try tommorow......
Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 PM

OK guys...........I get the point!!!!! LOL!!!