Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

don't know what happened?darn shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't know what happened?darn shocks!

well today I was ramping my revo and broke both of my rear shocks,it just snapped the shafts at the end of the threads!I was only about 10 feet up and landed on all wheels fine!can somebody tell me why that happened.and what are the strongest shocks I can get on the market right now?I need to buy new ones.thanks!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Default RE: don't know what happened?darn shocks!

Apparently everyone likes the Traxxas Titanium Nitride shock shafts and hard anodized teflon coated shock bodies.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:38 PM

ya but it says that there only coated with the titanium nitrite.does that really even help out alot?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 PM

Hey dude my friend has the exact same problem on his revo. breaking em off at the threads. his name is lucky14bn. hit him up and ask him. I dont think he will be online until monday morning. I could describe the problem to ya the best i can if ya want.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:04 AM

Ive never had a problem breaking off shock shafts... i do bigger jumps than most people could imagine and ive never broken a shock shaft. For me it always pulls the plastic rod end off long before it breaks the shock shaft.
I DO run the hard annod/ti-ni shaft traxxas gtr shocks.

Btw, make sure your suspension is setup so it bottoms out on the chassis before it bottoms out the shocks. This will take a lot of stress off you shocks.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: AiRevo

Btw, make sure your suspension is setup so it bottoms out on the chassis before it bottoms out the shocks. This will take a lot of stress off you shocks.

I'll about guarantee thats your problem. the shock is having to absorb the shock (no pun intended) of the spring pushing the rod back out of the shock instead of the a arms stopping on the chassis stops. like I said talk to lucky14bn. I have a Maxx so I dont know the geometry of the Revo that well so I cant really describe it to you intellectually. I do kno that he bought new a arms and rear skid plate to fix the problem.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: carbajal

ya but it says that there only coated with the titanium nitrite.does that really even help out alot?
No it doesn't. TiNi is coated shafts just operate smoother than stock. This way your truck handles better. Maxi and Ai are right about the problem.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:22 PM

you don't have alum. shock rod ends do you?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 PM

what spring/wt are u running? i'd say go to 60 or 70 wt oil and upgrade springs, and put some fuel line on your shock shaft instead of that little blue thing...i did this mod and i've never had any shock problems. im running 60wt oil with silver springs in rear and tan up front with the fuel line mod.

also i'd go on ebay, i got 4 used shocks for 13 bucks...they are cheap...some go for cheaper...its nice to have some extras just incase they break u can just switch them out and keep driving...even though they are one of the hardest things to work with on the truck lol.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:02 PM

they broke. never had that problem myself. i've had my revo come down from 20 feet on the left rear corner and it ripped the rocker right off the post but that was it. I have no idea how you guys manage to break so many of them.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 PM

no I don't have aluminum rod ends.I run the stock set up,but I just ordered the (TIN) shocks,set of 4 for $49.99and some 50wt.for the back with the blue springs and 45wt. for the front with the silver springs.But I think i'm going to try guy's method's as well since you probably know alot more than I do.And won't it hurt the chassis or some other part if it bottom's out on a big jump?thanks for your help guy's!I appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely make sure your truck bottoms out before the springs do, it will save a ton of stress on your shocks.