Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Getting Kinky With twins >

Getting Kinky With twins

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Getting Kinky With twins

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 11:42 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Kinky With twins

Ok so you don't listen when I warn you not to do twins.....So What Else Is New!!! Now some of you have noted that this writer has gone on to a "few modifications".....Triples, Bashing...Making a triple out of a perfectly good twin star or add two more engines....But that is another story.
Now that a few challenges are over, it is time to get on to more experimentation.
Radio Antics
1. Flying a twin sometimes is not enough!!!!!!!!! We have to fix what is not broke!!!!
The Futaba 8 and 9 channel radios can be programmed to allow additional interesting flight characteristics to the twin engine airplane that expand it's envelop and excitement. No, this is not a cut on the JR, High-Tec, or Airtronics. I am just more familiar with the Futaba and am reasonably sure that other brands can be similarly programmed.
Per the book "Getting the most out of Futaba's 8-channel control systems" page 7-17 gives details as to how to program the two engines to react to the rudder command. In other words, If the rudder is turned right, the left engine will advance while retarding the right engine. This makes for very quick hammer head turns, inverted spin recovery, and maneuvers limited to your imagination. My personal experience is to differ with the books recommendation for the above operating condition. The problem, as described in the book, is that as you taxi out to the runway, you turn the rudder. Guess what, One engine goes up quickly in throttle setting. This, in my opinion does not make for safe or easy taxi to the runway!!!! ( The old bones are not up to chasing my airplane down the taxi way as first one engine guns up and then the other, as I try to correct for the last run up). The better solution is to set the radio so that below one half throttle nothing happens. Above one half throttle, one engine is reduced in power instead of increased. The end result is the same, but not quite so exciting at taxi time. This will take 3 mixes to accomplish.

2. Page 7-16 shows how to set up the transmitter to allow the rotary knob for channel to adjust the idle setting of one engine to match the other, in case you are too lazy to spend the time to mechanically synchronize the two engines. As ridiculous as it may sound, this setting can allow you to practice single engine flight in relative safety. How? Simple, at high altitude, simply slow down the engine controlled by the channel 8 rotary knob. If problems, power up again. Note; do not fly too long on one engine as, just on the ground, it can load up as you bring power back up. Do it slowly if possible. A friend to handle the additional throttle work would not be a bad idea. If you loose one engine you should still be at high altitude, throttle back and land.

DID I MENTION DON'T DO TWINS!!!!!

IT CAN GET OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2003, 01:08 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing the Engines to the rudder

Just to add, this mix really make knife edge much easier due to differentail thrust.
It also makes inverted flat spins not only easy to get into, but much easier and safer to get out of. How...simple, if you in an inverted spin, usually you are holding full throttle, full rudder,one way, and opposite or similar aileron.
To get out of the spin quick, simply bring the control for the control surfaces to nuetral and reverse the rudder. This reverses the engine thrust and the plane comes out of the spin almost instantly.......try that with a single engine plane!!!!!!
Twins Make you crazy......see!!!!!