Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

TWIRP (Twin Plastic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWIRP (Twin Plastic)

I have just completed the intitial trail flights of a twin made in the Spad fashion. Coroplast and PVC downspout. I had been reluctant to go to multi engines because of the 'one engine out' repair time and costs. The spad construction method removed this problem. It is 6 ft span, two TT 46 Pros, twin rudders (Balsa), wieght 11 lb, wing loading 25 oz/ft2.
The first flight went without a hitch and I felt completely comfortable knowing that any heavy arrival would be easy to fix. during the second flight I lost the left engine. I didn't notice any violent reaction just some loss of hieght. I cut power and floated in.
If any y'all would like to try multi engines but like me was worried about the 'fixin' then I would recommend you try the plastic route.
There are a few construction pics on my page http://geocities.com/wisebrit
Old 04-14-2003, 12:13 PM

The pic din't attch first time. Let's hope it did this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	70571_20360.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	42770  
Old 04-14-2003, 09:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

why not make a 4 engine plane
Old 04-14-2003, 10:52 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wow....!

That was a neat and inexpensive twin...nice, very nice.

Did you cut a foam wing...? If you did cut a foam wing, what airfoil did you use ?

Keep us posted, and let me know how it flies...it's ugly as sin, but like the ugly sticks of old grow on you.

Soft landings always,

Bobby of Maui
Old 04-15-2003, 12:09 AM

Upperking
Certainly a four banger is a possibility. Unfortunately I don't have 4 of the same engines. I have in mind however to put a third (an old OS 60 H or maybe one of my other redundant engines) in the center of this one after I get bored flying on two.
Bob Paris
I hot wire a short length of foam then cut into two inch wide strips to make thick ribs. This allowed the use the thinner 2 mm Coroplast to skin it. Saves quite a bit of weight over the 4 mm stuff. The airfoil is flat bottom, 14" chord, quite thin at only 1 1/4", (a yardstick), and like all my designs the shape is LAR (Looks About Right ). The pics on my page may be clearer than my explaination here.
It's a ugly as sin but its airframe cost is only about $30 and I could build another in about a day - so losing an engine doesn't scare me any more. It is held together with bolts and set screws so any part is easily replacable.
From my experience with other planes made like this, I dont expect much, or any dammage, even in a very hard 'arrival'. These plastic monstrosities are as tough as old boots. They need to be with the rough treatment they get from my student pilots.