Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
 crazy idea...or maybe not >

crazy idea...or maybe not

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

crazy idea...or maybe not

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy idea...or maybe not

I was given a tiger 60 kit...thinking about kit-bashing it into a tri-motor...was thinking a set of OS 46 AX engines...any thoughts? I know it'll be over powered...but should be fun
Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: crazy idea...or maybe not

There is no such thing as overpowered. We have throttle control at our finger tips. Go for it!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 AM

should i leave it as a tricycle gear..or try a tail dragger...i saw towerhobbies shows it as a taildragger in their ad pics
Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Maybe there is not a such thing as overpowered but there is a such thing as overweight. I think that plane with 3 46's is going to be a pig.

I think bashed into a twin with 2 46s is probably doable.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:25 AM

I've done a couple of planes bashed into twins. One was a Voyager and flew it for quite a few years. It mite be a good idea to maybe add acoupe wing ribs to each side of the wing to help in the increased weight that you will have. I personaly wouldn't worry about using a twin synch system. But thats up to you. Cause with the extra engine you will also have an extra tank and possibly an extra servo for the throttle. Make sure that you check the CG after you add the extra engine(s). You don' want her maiden to become her last flight[X(]
Old 09-14-2008, 10:54 AM

so on the landing gear...leave it tricycle or change it to taildragger? tower shows the Tiger 60 as a taildragger in their ad photo...i'm kinda set on going with a triplet of 46AX engines....will that make a 60 sized airplane too heavy? I'd rather not move up to the 120 ARF sized one and have to cut into the covering and such

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDJD4&P=ML

sorry about just posting the link...couldn't get the image to show up
Old 09-14-2008, 12:57 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've also bashed a few 60 size planes into .46 powered twins. Like nchrome I've added wing area, however with an extra 10 or 12" span in the center section. I've not had a Tiger 60 but recall the wing is not very deep and of relatively light construction; I would be concerned about it folding up in high speed maneuvers with the extra power you plan.
The taildragger version (I've had both) can be a handfull on takeoff if the engines get out of synchronization. Twins don't have prop blast over the rudder, but your tri-motor will. The Tiger has a pretty small rudder too. Twin fins/rudders seem to help, but the Me 110 I had was never any good at ground handling.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a ys 120 on a Tiger 60. It handeld the lbs with no problem. So planes can handel the lbs just fine and some can not. My plane came out to be 11 lbs and 9zo. slowed right down and was a ez to land. With the 3 46 you will have fun with it. I say go for it.

I did mine as a drager. I do not like trikes. so you will need to know what you like and do it that way.

Paul
Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 PM
My Feedback: (18)

By the time you go from one to three engines you are adding close to 3lbs to the plane. The engines alone are 17oz a piece, plus tank, engine mount, servos, nacelle, reinforcements, etc.

This plane is about a 7.5 lb plane that will turn into a 10.5 lb plane with three engines. So you are looking at a 40% jump in weight.

I just dont think its going to fly well. It will be a rocket at full throttle and a brick at low throttle or engine out.

I think 2 46's would be more manageable or maybe 3 engines in the 25-32 range or a bearing 40.

Maybe the sig 4* 120 would be a better option. It comes in kit form.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't forget with all that weight added up front you will probably have to add weight to the tail to balance properly