Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
 D36 ,new TX/RX is it worth it and will it work ? >

D36 ,new TX/RX is it worth it and will it work ?

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

D36 ,new TX/RX is it worth it and will it work ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D36 ,new TX/RX is it worth it and will it work ?

I have a Dragonfly 36 and started slowly upgrading it, at least the metal parts on the rotor.
Everybody is suggesting to upgrade also the electronics incuding TX/RX.

I have a new Futaba 8ch heli Tx with Rx which I am saving for my Hawk 30 that I am planning to build this winter with a 401 gyro.
I was thinking, is it worth it to put them for now on the 36 since they are just sitting around ?
I just never thought a heli that I use for practise and to learn on should have that kind of equipment from money point of view I mean.

Also are they compatible , especially the gyro with Walkera 36 ?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion of another TX/RX and gyro I should look into to upgrade at this point which will not cost me that much ?

Also, what servo's should I look into eventually ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:37 AM

Default RE: D36 ,new TX/RX is it worth it and will it work ?

Just use the Walkera gyro in normal mode, and put the new Futaba receiver in it along with at least S75 servos. I found out I am developing bad habits from flying the quirks, and will have to re-learn when I fly with a straightforwards system. And don't let the hype make you think the DF36 is junk, it has a few mechanical things to work on, but the electronics do not have such a good reputation.
You would have to smash the heli pretty bad to damage the receiver. If you have reasonable flight skills, your DF36 crashes will mainly affect the blades and head parts.
And your transition (I assume) from a small fixed pitch to a big bad bird that bites will be easier. Turning your Walkera receiver so the chip vent holes get cooled by the rotor wash will make it more reliable. The regulator (BEC) seems to be a bit on the highly loaded side and it gets hot then shuts down. A quick look says it is for 1 amp or less, most BEC's put out 2 amps for a receiver and 4 microservos. 3 amp BEC's would be best.

Stableblade
Old 09-27-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the reply.

You are right, most of my crashes are affecting the blades so far, I can keep it hovering pretty well.
I am picking up tomorrow the Hitec micro receiver with 3 HS-55's which I was looking to upgrade on the 36 if I was going to use the Futaba radio. Of course I ordered a crystal to match my TX.
I am thinking of keeping the existing gyro for now. I just want to avoid the hussle of messing around with gyro set up for now.

I am also looking on some T-rex kits (LOL)
This thing is getting out of hand, what a money pit. I think I am just going to plant a money tree in my back yard.

What a hobby though !!!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 PM

you can use the 401 with the 36 ONLY if you get another Rx, which has gyro sensitivity options. I'd suggest going ahead and switching over as they'll be compatible with the 36. It's worth it, trust me.