Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Tank???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank???

Hey guys, I've always been a fan of military models and dioramas. So, now that I see there are tanks available, I was wondering if you guys could steer me in the right direction as to what tank to buy? Would I be wiser to buy a Tamiya or a more expensive model? Sorry for the noob question.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Default RE: Tank???

Well, I certainly wouldn'tgaugethe quality of a tank basedsolelyon how expensive it is. While Tamiya's are top notch quality, you can achieve quality satisfaction with Heng Long tanks as well. It all depends on your ability and desire to make this happen.<div></div><div>Since this is your first tank, it would be wise to make a small investment of 80-150 bucks, rather than drop 420-900 bucks right off that bat just encase you realize this hobby isn't for you. But, some have went all out and made Tamiya their first purchase and loved it from the start. But that is a decision for you to make.</div><div></div><div>I myself started with 3 heng longs, but eventually invested enough money into them that I could have purchased 2 Tamiyas, so I then purchase 3 Tamiyas. lol</div><div></div><div>Anyway,<div>Let's establish what scale and tank you're interested in. Currently available are 1/35,1/24, 1/16, 1/10, 1/8, etc.... The common and most popular scale is 1/24 (Vstank or Unimax -Forces of Valor) and 1/16 (Tamiya, Heng long)</div><div></div><div>Also, it's better for you to inquire herehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_369/tt.htm</div><div>There's more traffic in the main section.</div><div></div><div></div></div>
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks BigTony but the link you gave me just brought me back here. Did I miss something. Thanks for the help and info. I like the 1/35 scale only because it's in line with a lot of models and scale accessories that are military.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Yeah, that link should have taken you to the main Tank general section. Right now, we're in the war room where much of the usuals don't come unless there's a topic about something historical related or of news events.
Anywho, if you're wanting to stay in 1/35, then you actually only have a few options. There are some companies that have manufactured 1/35 scale rc tanks, but the problem with them is replacement or aftermarket parts are slim. Tamiya 1/35 scale would actually be your best bet. As you may know, Tamiya does a great job merging modeling and RC features together. So most of the 1/35 RC tanks still remain as model kits to be assembled or the other option of ready to run. I myself haven't indulged into 1/35 since I particullary like the idea of driving outside through most terrain, whereas 1/35...you'll be limited to indoors or a manipulated outside area prepared for driving.

The other option is to convert a model into RC. This I believe involves lots of trial and error in my opinion and highly dictated on your skill level and knowledge. There are some sites that help to give you a step up in this conversion process, but if you're willing and able to conduct lots of research and ingenuity....then I think the only limitation you will cross, is the size of the actual 1/35 tank (a King Tiger in 1/35 would have much more internal space for components than a Panzer III.)http://www.35rctank.com/<br type="_moz" /><br type="_moz" />