Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Wild Hare 28% summary

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 10:49 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Hare 28% summary

All,
I have been through the rounds with sub-standard 25% planes.

Sig Extra 300Xs---Heavy, one peace wing-----Sacraficed to a picnic table upon landing

World Models Extra 160------Heavy, but with light wing loading, poor verticle with OS 1.60-------Sacraficed to a mid-air with an electric plane

CMP Katana #1----Light powerful good flyer---weak wings---wing snaped in-two standared flight

CMP Katana#2----2 lbs heavier than Katana #1---would snap with moderate elevator input----Snapped when pulling out of an low altitude down line...ie dumb thumb

I saw a 28% Wild Hare at the field, I must say WOW! Light wing loading, built like a brick (*%(* house!! I have been reading these threads and this is the only plane I have ever researched that has had no legitamate gripes, I only hear good things about these planes. The best is the personalized customer service Tom Provides. Great Job Tom, and Thank you.

My dream plane/Next Plane will be the WildHare Extra Special

Money is tight, so it will take me a year or so to aquire all the items nesessary to construct this plane. My plan is to purchase all the radio, servos, linckages, prop, spinner, engine, fuel system,...etc.. then purchase the plane last(this method helps with the wife issue).

I have a lot of questions. Possibly this thread can summarize a lot of the items offered in other threads. here goes.

Tail Wheel Assy

Exactly what hardware comes in the kit?

I know the tailwheel assembly is there, do you still need to buy the wheel? If not what is the best to use

How much weight does an expensive CF Tail wheel bracket really save is it worth it?

Is the tailwheel tiller included?If not what is the best to use

Is the springs Included?

Main Gear
Tom offers a lighter aluminum gear and wing tube, how much lighter is it? Is it worth it?

How much lighter is the colored Fiberglass gear that tom offers?

Is the CF gear worth it? what is the cost? where can it be found?

Is it worth the expence of buying titanium axles?

I know some have made lightning holes in the stock gear, Is this a good option?

What size/Type of wheels?

How much does the wheel pants weigh?, should I even bother if flying on grass?

Titanium axles are they worth it?

Linkages

I like the rocket city type hardware, for the ailerons and elevators, the ones that uses a screw and aircraft nut ror the clevas pin, not the that snaps over plastic tabs. It has been said to use 1.5" air wild horns with the connection in the 1.25" hole. The ailerons have much less deflection degrees than the elevator, do you loose aileron mechanical advantage, by using the same horns as the elevators?
Is the H9 Titanium linke 4" for elevators and 3.5" for ailerons?

what rudder tiller is being used? What tailwheel tiller?

Is anybody using the teflon coated kevlar pull-pull system sold by Don's hobby shop? I have used it on other planes and it works great!

Fuel System

with BME 50, should I use a two line with a tee on the pickup for fill, or a three line tank?

I know the stopper is different, but is the internal pickup line inside the tank also tigon?

what diameter tubing, clunk, pickup line etc is best???

engine/PROP

I plan to use a BME 50cc!!

What size standoffs should I use?

Where can I get stand offs?

Where is the best place for the throttle servo?

any issues with this engine?

do i need a choke servo or can i easly choke through the cowell?

WHAT prop would be the best balence between precision IMAC and 3D?

what is the best spinner for this engine?

Radio
I am using an Hitec Eclipse, QPCM reciever, 2 HS-5925's for elevators, 2 HS-5945's for ailerons and a JR-8611 for rudder. I already have these.
I plan to get air-wild arms.

Can I use an HS-91 or HS-85 for throttle?

What is the quantity, length, and guage of extentions?

I already have A powerflite 3600Mha Pack for the reciever and a Powerflite 1800Mha pack for ignition as well as charger regulators and switches.

Wing Tube

How much lighter is tom's lighter wing tube?

Is their a carbon Fiber tube avalable?

How much weight does the CF wing tube save?

What is the wing attachment method?

General

Do i need to purchace the longer bar for my robart Insidence meter?

Do i need to purchase taps for the hard points?

Does the kit come with the robart hinges?

What are you guys using to seal the gaps? I use transparent monocoat?

Exactly what other misalenous hardware do I need to buy, what is the size and quantity? Screws, nuts, washers, pins, etc....

Should the JR-8611 go in the forward or aft hole?

Is there a pre installed tube for the anteanna?

I know this is a lot of questions and I am sure I will have more. Hopefully some of you Wild Hare fans and experts can summarize your hardware/equipment choices and setup here. Like I said I will purchase in this order....All Hardware---Engine---Plane--over the next year or so. I want to really do my research and get the correct hardware the first time.

Thanks in advance

Dan Powell
T.R.C. IMAC Contest Director/President
Old 08-18-2004, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wild Hare 28% summary

Too much for me to answer here, if you want to email that list I'll work on it.

Tom Fawcett
Old 08-19-2004, 04:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the time to read through some of the pages of posts in this forum, I'm pretty certain that you will find that every item you noted has been vovered about twice or more.

Purchasing the hardware kit that is an option for the plane will cost you $70.00 and save you both time, money, and gasoline. Check with Tom for the contents, or again check out some of the other posts.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:10 AM

I guess the questions are overwhelming. There is a lot of great information in this forum, it is just really spread out. I thought this post could be a place to summarize all the info, to save time. I will break it up and ask one section at a time.

thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 07:13 AM

here goes I will start with the engine.

engine/PROP

I plan to use a BME 50cc!! A club member has one that is in grat shape that I can get for a deal, It has a slimline Pitts.

Is anybody else using this engine?

what is the weight of BME 50cc, ignition, Slimline Pitts?

How does this compare with the DA 50?

What size standoffs should I use?

Where can I get stand offs?

Where is the best place for the throttle servo?

any issues with this engine?

do i need a choke servo or can i easly choke through the cowell?

WHAT prop would be the best balence between precision IMAC and 3D?

what is the best spinner for this engine?

what muffler works best with this engine?

Is a slimline pitts ok?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:25 AM

engine/PROP

I plan to use a BME 50cc!! A club member has one that is in grat shape that I can get for a deal, It has a slimline Pitts.

Is anybody else using this engine?Yes, lots of guys are

what is the weight of BME 50cc, ignition, Slimline Pitts? Check with BME, slimline does not make a muffler for the BME, J&A does.

How does this compare with the DA 50? Not as much power, similar weight, very simple and reliable.

What size standoffs should I use? With a BME you must add a mount, and the engine can move on the mount, so the answer is nobody knows until you start setting it up.

Where can I get stand offs? Make them from wood.

Where is the best place for the throttle servo? Side of the motorbox

any issues with this engine? No

do i need a choke servo or can i easly choke through the cowell? Define "easily"

WHAT prop would be the best balence between precision IMAC and 3D? Define "best"

what is the best spinner for this engine? define "best"

what muffler works best with this engine?same answer

Is a slimline pitts ok? not available

You are askling a whole lot of questions that have no hard answer. Nobody can determine what is the best prop or spinner but you for your style.

TF
Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 AM

Thanks Tom for the replies?, like I said awsome customer service

I guess I should Have worded the questions" which would you choose), instead of which is best. To answer my own questions, I would use a BME 22x8. You are correct about the J&A. and True Turn spinner cut out by BME for this prop and engine.

Here is the next round of questions.

Tail Wheel Assy

Exactly what hardware comes in the kit?

I know the tailwheel assembly is there, do you still need to buy the wheel? If not what is recommended?

How much weight does an expensive CF Tail wheel bracket really save is it worth it, opinions are ok on this one?

Is the tailwheel tiller included?If not what would you recommend

Is the springs Included?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:34 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

you can download manual on toms site (ithink)check it out will anwser some of your ?'s
Old 08-19-2004, 01:35 PM

The tailwheel tiller shaft is included in the hardware package with the Nelson RCL linkage if you decide to purchase the hardware package.

The tail wheel (tire) comes with the tailwheel assembly.

As I recall, the springs are included with the tail wheel.

Tom's suggestion of using 6-32 all thread for the tiller bar is an excellent one. To answer an unasked question, all the pilot holes are pre-drilled in all the control surfaces for the horn shafts, including the rudder tiller. You only need to drill them out to the right size and tap them. The screw can act as a tap if you don't have a tap, but will not end up threaded as tightly.

Opinion:

It's not worth the money, or the effort, for the C/F tailwheel. Any weight savings are insignificant. Since I have only had 3 of the 28% planes, this may not be a valid opinion.

Opinion:

The tail wheel assembly is not the best in the world, but it's also not the worst. It is free though, and comes at no additional cost to the kit. You may desire to change it out for another type or brand that you normally use.

I have tried both the Dave Patrick medium sized tube style and the Ohio medium size flat bar type and prefer the Ohio.

That's about all the time I can give to this one. Check out all the other posts. It would be faster, and more complete.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:45 PM

All,
Sorry for such a long initial post. I am aware that all of the information can likely be found in this forum. There is a wealth of information here. I thought this thread would be a great place to summarize all the information.

Tom,
Are you Flying in Sherman on the 4th and 5th?

Here goes the next run of questions:

Fuel System

with BME 50, should I use a two line with a tee on the pickup for fill, or a three line tank?

I know the stopper is different, but is the internal pickup line inside the tank also tigon?

General

Exactly what other misalenous hardware do I need to buy, what is the size and quantity? Screws, nuts, washers, pins, etc....

Should the JR-8611 go in the forward or aft hole? with a BME 50 and JR 8611?

More BME Questions

I read all the info on the BME in this forum. I am left with two questions.

I know you can use wood, but I saw a picture somewhere of some aluminum standoffs used on a H9 ultra mount. What are their length? Where can I find them?

I know this has been asked a lot, but what prop would your expierence recommend for a balence between 3D and IMAC, opinions welcome?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 08-19-2004, 05:14 PM
My Feedback: (3)

dntmn,

You know, I didn't even read the first post in its entirety, let alone the rest. However, here's a suggestion that occurs to me. If you would glean all that information from posts that have already been made, and post it here, I would probably buy another plane!

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 08-19-2004, 08:32 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dntmn

Fuel System

Again like Tom said earlier it is a matter of personal choice concerning most of your questions.

The tank can be either 2 or 3 line, one isn't necessarily any better but some like the idea of having the fill line seperate from the clunk line.

ALL of the tubing is tygon in a gasser system, try using silicone and you'll find out why it can't be used with gasoline[]

All of the tubing can be 1/8 inch id, works fine.

ALL of this stuff comes in Tom's hardware kit and it's installation is all discussed in detail in the assembly manual that comes with the plane.

General

Should the JR-8611 go in the forward or aft hole? with a BME 50 and JR 8611?

More BME Questions
You can get a length of 1/8 x 1 inch aluminum bar stock at any Ace hardware store. Cut it to the length you need and ues it to replace the gold bar that Robart uses.

The hinges are included in the hardware kit, if you decide to purchase it.

The planes are covered in ultracote, I use clear UC to seal my gaps. Sealing them on these planes makes a BIG difference in control effectiveness.

As to the long list of hardware you would need to buy....

Again, Tom's HW pack has all of it but the stuff to mount the engine, every engine is different so he can't include hardware for every make and model out there.

An 8611 could be mounted in either hole. I would only make a reccomendation on rudder servo placement if your plan on using a big one like the Hitec 5735 and in that case definately put it in the front hole.

No there is not a preinstalled tube in the plane for the antenna.

I read all the info on the BME in this forum. I am left with two questions.

I know you can use wood, but I saw a picture somewhere of some aluminum standoffs used on a H9 ultra mount. What are their length? Where can I find them?

I know this has been asked a lot, but what prop would your expierence recommend for a balence between 3D and IMAC, opinions welcome?

Thanks in advance guys
I have no experience with the BME 50 so I can't help you with anything concerning that engine but most guys are running 22 x 8 props and seem to be pretty satisfied. Tom has recommended 22 x 10 as his preference but that is attributed to his flying style as he says. Just keep this in mind.......ALMOST ANYTHING is better than a Zinger or Zinger Pro.....Try MSC, Menz S, NX, 3W, Mejlick, etc....
Old 08-20-2004, 02:29 AM

Thanks Shogun.

I've gotten a little weary of re-typing the same info over and over and over and over, etc. So hopefully you will pardon my shortness when when someone wants to be catered to.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:07 AM

All,
I am aware that their is a multitude of information in this forum. I am very excited about this plane. I scanned the posts and was left with a lot of questions. Many of the questions are because this would be my first gasser. The purpose of this thread was to have a place to summarize all of the wonderful information avalable, so we could all benifit. I apoligize for asking too many questions. I should have spent days instead of hours going through the awsome post's in this forum. This is all about modelers helping Modelers. I sincerely thank all who have answered my questions so far.

Perhaps I can start a different thread where we can summarize our individual planned or completed setups, weights, performance, choices, etc...

Like I said earlier I am in the planning stages of this Extra Special, and due to money and time it will be a while before I am flying one. What I can do is once I start putting this plane together I can start a mini-review thread and post pictures and updates daily as I progress. I only have an hour or so a day to spend in the shop, so this would take a while and be very imformative to others in the planning or construction phase..

Special thanks to all.

Dan
Old 08-20-2004, 09:26 PM

No prob Silver, I have read just about all of the posts in this forum and really appreciate your thoughts and experiences concerning these models.

Dan,

If you have not seen this site you might like to take a look:

www.edge540T.com

John has done a pretty good job of going over the build of his Edge and since the Extras are VERY similar most, if not all, of his info will apply to building one.

Much of what you are asking is readily available in a concise, easy to read, resource....the actual build manual that is available over at www.wildharerc.com .

Any very specific questions, like those regarding certain engine installs can be answered here by the guys that have used those engines. General build questions and their answers are available all over this forum.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:12 PM

thanks shogun

silversurfer,
I have read most of the threads here and you have contributed a lot. Thank You I apoligize for asking too many questions in the first of this thread, before I had read all their was to offer. The edge540t website is awsome! Toms manual is very concise. I absolutly love his method for engine alignment!

After talking with Tom I have desided to go with his hardware package, it is very thought out and complete, and it would cost more time and money to get everything on my own.

Thanks again guys
Old 08-21-2004, 01:18 PM

I know tom is shipping a lot of planes right now.

I was wondering is anybody that just recieved an extra special could do some weights and measures?

(I know going with carbon fiber tail tube won't save much but 1/2 oz savings in the tail means 2 oz removal in the nose)
How much does the tail tube weigh?

How much does the latest wing tubes weigh?

On the extra special what is the exact distance from the front of the firewall to the front of the cowell.

PS: I could not find this info on any of the threads, manual, or edge540t.com

Thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2004, 08:49 AM

Hey Dan

On Friday before the contest we can get together and talk about your 28% stuff. I have been flying Tom's 35% during the last three contest and I am assembling another 35% Extra now. Remember I have been flying the yellow/purple Giles for some time now too. I have several friends here that I have helped with the assembly on their edges and extras both the 28%. One with the YW and one with the 3.2 Brison. I plan to phone you to get B. Jacobsons phone number by the way.

See Ya
Eddie Benaldez
Old 08-28-2004, 01:06 PM

Eddie,
That sounds good. Go to
http://www.texomarc.org and click on 8th annual IMAC. My cell phone number is there.

Best of Luck.