Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Carbon Fiber Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Landing Gear

Okay.. getting back to fixed wing topics (giggle) I have noticed both GraphtechRC and Supergear
both design the fuselage width of the c/f landing gear at 6and seven-eighths or 7 inches. With the
fuselage width at the landing gear location being only 6 inches, I have to wonder why they design
in the extra width. Anyone here have any ideas, or should I pose this question to those companies?

Gerald
Old 02-17-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know that answer as well.

TF
Old 02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's just a guess, but I'm thinking that the wider base would place the primary bending location outside the edges of the fuselage, preventing repeated contact/impact to the edge of the fuse.

Not much of a deal with aluminum gear, but possibly an issue with lighter types of gear that would have a higher bend/flex rate.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:04 PM

You may want to consider making your own. I built the following with about $70 worth of material with alot left over ( 2/3 of a yard ).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27563.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	282269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71817.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	282270  
Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Brian at RCSuperGear is now making a set of Carbon Fiber gear from a stock aluminum set someone sent him. The gear should be an exact repacement, just airfoiled and much lighter. Supposedly, this SuperGear can not delaminate because it isn't laminated, I am curious enough about this gear that I am going to make the leap of faith and purchase a set as soon as Brian gets them finished. Of course I will post a review so everyone can see how they worked out, the dimensions, weight, etc.

I hope this gear gets finished soon!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:38 PM

sorry, have to throw this in.....just because something is not made of the horizontal layers we all think of as a "laminate" does not mean is it not a laminate. woven cloth carbon is nothing more than organized individual fibers providing strength in mutiple directions rather than in a single direction as unidirectional carbon strand. each have their strengths and weaknesses and can both "delaminate" meaning the fibers can separate. the main difference is that one will notice woven cloth usually delaminating between the organized layers where as the uni will simply break or delaminate along the long axis of the layers, which in the case of gear would require torsional load. which is better? neither. just different. the best "laminates" use a mixture of differnt fiber orientation to acheive the maximum desired stiffness/strength/weight ratios.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:35 AM
My Feedback: (37)

anyone get the supergear yet? I checked the website and the price is now $65 plus shipping. Seems pretty expensive.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 PM

Well I am gonna throw this in. i ordered a set of extra 300 gear back in June. I knew he hadn't finished the mold yet but I was anxious and figured it wouldn't take to long. Well after several calls over the last few months and a unanswered email last week, I am starting to become very agitated. I am a very understanding guy, BUT the last few phone calls he has told me that they would be in the mail. Those phone calls have been over the last 3 months or so. I am gonna try once more to call Brian and see what the deal is. Just a warning for those of you considering supergear. I would make sure that he has them in stock. I'm still hoping that he will make this right.

Charlie
Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (45)

I got his first set for the Extra and it was a combination of tow line, carbon fiber and resin. I wouldn't mount it on my Plane because I didn't care for the appearance of it. The Gear had no Carbon Fiber look to it (no visible weave) just a dark resin look. Very fat & thick, looked like something that was over-built. I can't tell you whether or not it would hold up, but it look like it would support a H2 Hummer. Brian was real good about taking it back, he's trying to provide good service and what the customer wants.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:58 PM

you are right about the appearance... unidirectional carbon tow has no weave to it so all you see is black carbon appearance without the organized weave of woven cloth. it is still the same material just without the fiber organization.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:13 AM
My Feedback: (44)

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to drill the LG for mounting holes/axle?
Old 04-06-2006, 03:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the hardware store you can obtain a drill bit that looks like a regular drill bit has kind of a fluted edge to it. I can't remember what they are called. In any case, be sure to back up the gear on a piece of wood so you won't "break" through the weave. Use a little maskin tape on the drilled side to make your marks and prevent scratching things up a bunch. GO SLOW!! Keep the drilling debris off your skin and out of your eyes. That part was more important than anything else.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:20 AM
My Feedback: (44)

Thanks, exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM
My Feedback: (27)

It appears that you may be able to help. I received some F3A style landing gear for my 110 sized pattern plane and appears that one of the legs is slightly twisted. The source that purchased the gear from is out of business. Is it possible to reset the gear to eliminate the twist? Mainly has anyone had any success in resetting graphite gear using heat? All thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:52 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Yes, it is possible to do. You will want to make some sort of jig to hold the gear just a little past what you want. Then put in an oven at 150 degrees for an hour, then ramp up to 200 for an hour and then 250 for 2 hours. Let cool down slowly. What you are doing is post curing the resin matrix which will increase it's strength. It will keep this set unless exposed to close to the 250 degrees.