Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Yak 54 with OS 1.60

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yak 54 with OS 1.60

Hi:

I finally got to the field with the Yak I've been working on with an OS 1.60 glow. The engine has a Perry VP-30 pump and was turning a Zinger 18-6/10 (it was all I had). Actually these dual-pitch zingers are not too bad.

Balancing requred about 6 oz. on the front of the engine. I've been experimenting with some heavy washers I had made, 2" diameter steel 1/8" to 1/4" thick. I used two, 1/8 and 3/16 for a total of 5/16" thickness. The bolt on in front of the prop and are hidden under the spinner. They worked great and add only minimal weight.

Anyway, at 13.5 lbs dry (actually closer to 14 with the balance weights) performance was really excellent. This 1.60 is really a fine instrument.

I define unlimited vertical as able to maintain a straight vertical line with sufficient forward speed to control the plane. This plane definitely qualified as unlimited vertical and would be out of sight in about 15 seconds.

If you are thinking of using glow on the Yak, by all means do not hesitate, this was a great combo. A Moki 1.8 or 2.1 would be reall great, and a Saito 1.80 or the new 2.20 would be outstanding.

I would think that a little experimenting with props and fuel (I was using Morgan 10% Omega) would yield an even better setup.

TF
Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yak 54 with OS 1.60

WOW, Tom I find this amazing. I really like the Yak you have and have been looking for a plane for the OS 160 I have sitting in the shop. Isn't the weight a little too much for the 160? Don't mess with my mind here I'm a fragile guy, I could really be influenced by your report.

Karl
Old 03-29-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Yak 54 with OS 1.60

I was surprised too, but the 1.60 handled the Yak without effort. Just keep the plane light, don't put your rock collection in it.

My engine was brand new also, 1st and 2nd flights were in the Yak.

TF