Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ 40 Hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 06:36 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 40 Hard to start

Here is the long and the short of it. I have a ZDZ 40 RV installed. I have verified timing. Piston at TDC, center of magnet to center of sensor 7 mm. The sensor holder is all the way to the stops to get the 7 mm. The low needle was at 2.5 from the factory and it would flood out and kill the motor at idle. It would not restart with out drying off the plug. Reset both needles from factory setting to 1.5 turns out. Idle was slightly rich so I ended up setting the low needle leaner approx 1/16 to 1/8th. Great transistion. Top was leaned until the motor hit a plateau. I am running MenzS 21x8, 90 octain gas, 40:1 Penzoil (From RCS). I am getting 6600 RPM. Altitude 300ft Above sea level, 58 degrees F., low humidity. The symptoms are as follows

Cold Start

Choke Engine, Throttle wide open, ignition off. Turn 3 to 4 times
Close throttle to idle, ignition on. Engine pops first or second flip
Open Choke, flip 15 to 20 times to get engine running
Engine runs great

Warm Start

Throttle at Idle ( Have tried 1,2,3,and 4 clicks of throttle)
Ignition on
Flip 15 to 20 times.
Engine runs great

My arm is getting soar from starting. Can you point me in some sort of direction. Thanks for your help
Old 06-05-2003, 02:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Starting ZDZ

I have a ZDZ 50 and it starts the same every time, hot or cold.

Full throttle, full choke, ignition on, three or four flips of the prop and it fires.
go to no choke, low throttle plus 2 clicks up and she starts on 3rd or 4th flip every time. Make sure someones holding the plane because at 2 clicks throttle she revs.
Good luck.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:47 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Default ZDZ 40 Hard to start

Just wanted to update everyone that helped out. The ZDZ 40 lives. Cold starts are good, 2 flips with choke until it pops, 4 flips and its running. Warm starts are awesome. I was at the field yesterday. Flew the first flight took about a 10 min. break, refueled, checked batteries. Flipped the prop one time and it was ideling nicely. The things that I did to remedy the situation.

New Carb from RCShowcase (Mike Dooley 2nd day UPS to me. Great customer servcie)
Put new carb on still was having problems. I pulled the diaphram off and bent up the arm on the metering valve so it would open more. (Mike gave me this tip)
Replumed tank to a 3 line setup instead of a 2 line.
Switched to Amsoil 2000.
Backed out low and high needles so that I knew it was rich.
Adjusted low for good transition, then adjusted high for peak.
6700 MenzS 21x8 (Temp 70, 300ft Elev., low humidity)

Good friend flew it towards the end of the day and ran it through the IMAC unlimited sequence. I guess I have no excusses now when flying the Intermediate

Michael